Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ghost in my satellite

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mrk5, Aug 7, 2004.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Well not really. But heres the story.

We finally got a DVR system through Dish Network. Well I programmed a couple of shows, and when I get home I find the first one didn't record. There was a program that conflicted with mine. A program that I didn't put there. So, I get it straightened out and pop in a dvd while it records a couple of shows. When I check back I find that neither one recorded all the way. Then while watching the satellite, it starts changing channels. We call Dish and they have us reset the receiver. 15minutes later it starts doing it again, keeps trying to go to a religious channel. So the wife calls back Dish and the have us reset it again. When the wife hangs up the phone she says, "Someone is f'n with us." While she was talking to the Dish rep she could here someone in the background saying her name and saying it was God speaking. This was on our cordless phone.

So, isn't it possible for the satellite remote signal and the cordless signal to be intercepted?
    What do you all think?

By the way the satellite remote uses a UHF signal.

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Start going to church more. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

Cordless phones can easily be intercepted. Do not know how easily it is to screw with satalite.

Had a neighbor screw (close friend) with me one night, he stood outside the window and changed the channel with his remote. Had the same cable box.

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Well Dish had us change the remote channel, so I think that's solved. That UHF remote is so powerful that there isn't a place in the house the remote won't work from. The Dish people said they have this problem in apartment complexes all the time. So I took the little antenna off the back. Hopefully that'll make it harder for anyone else to hijack it again.

And the wife and I decided that we won't give out any damaging info over the cordless. At leat it was nice of whoever was doing it to let us know they were there.