Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Giant catfish caught!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Aug 1, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Clicky!

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

haha... i was talking to a boat customer today about giant catfishing... :crazy: :D

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Hope they threw it back.

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

My Grandpa used to always tell us stories about big catfish, guess he wasn't foolin.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've heard(who knows how true) in the south the way they catch them is to use their arm as bait along the bottom of the river. Seen plenty of pictures of guys holding up some BIG catfish. Thats probably the biggest though, looks different then the ones I've seen in pictures.

6. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Its called Noodling by catching by using your arm. BAsically stick your arm in a whole and when they bite I think they make a fist so they fish can't get off. Sometimes get snakes and bad stuff in holes too. Saw a movie called Okie Noodling once ;)

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i once caught a fish this big.........

i have gotten bigger:crazy::crazy:

8. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I heard about that this morning on john boy and billy.

Thats a huge fish :eek1:

9. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

that would just freak me out at the thought of it :eek1: :eek1: :doah:

10. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I caught one that big once, but it got away when the line broke :doah: :D

11. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Basically it's just called "grabbling". What they do is place boxes in shallow parts of a river. Usually somewhat close to the bank. The box has a hole in one end. On some boxes the hole is sort of like a funnel in that one end is smaller than the other. The fish can swim in, but when he turns around, the hole is to small (or so he thinks) to swim back out. Then you run your hand up in the box and basically cram it down the fish's throat. The bad thing about cats is that they will do like a gator and start to roll. Kinda eats up the skin on your forearm. I have seen some really nice fish caught like that. As for the snakes, they are not a problem as long as the box is completely submerged. Sometimes people will "fish" logs and trees with a hole in the trunk or something similar. If the log is completely submerged your fine. If there is even a little bit of it out of the water, just pass on by. Most people that do this type fishing run the same stretch of river over and over so they know what the situation is when the water is "up" or "down". Here in Mississippi we have lots of old rivers that produce lots of huge cats. I prefer "jug" fishing, yo-yo's, or trotlines. I don't worry about a snake in the box. I worry about the snakes I will encounter getting to the box.

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i have hurd of guys almost drownding because of grabbing a big cat, that had got to be a hell of a fight!@

13. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

We have the Okie Noodling DVD. It is a different way to fish: perfectly legal. We haven't had the guts to try it. Aside from losing digits on your fingers and chunks of skin, most of the holes are underwater, and you can get trapped. Best to do this with a buddy.

A 221 lb catfish is not the world record. There was a bigger one caught in Thailand on the Mekong River earlier this year.

In the picture, with the way they are handling it, it probably died right after. It's totally unnecessary. The animal was probably 45 - 50 years old. Too bad it died because of their stupidity.

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you catch a 150lb catfish, is it something that you eat? When we catch very large redfish or drum, we put them back - they are tough and can be wormy.

15. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I have heard two different opinions on that. One is that fish that big have lots of fat and the meat is really "slimy", and tastes very strong. The other is that if you filet the fish (yes, cut one huge filet) and then cut smaller filets off of that large filet, it will taste just like a smaller catfish. I have had no experience with this, just what I've heard.