Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

giant whip antenna

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by snidgen, Apr 18, 2000.

1. snidgen

snidgen Registered Member

i know they are 70's and redneck dukes of hazzard lookin' but i like em and was wondering if anybody knew where i could get one of those giant whip cb antenna's about 10 feet long

Opinions are like assholes...you know the rest

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yeeehaaaa, well hell yes partner.[​IMG]
    I'm lossen it...[​IMG]
    Here in Clifornia you can still pickum up at RadioShack
    or any of the local CB shops.Oh ya I even seen them at a Truck stop off the Hwy. There still out there, you may beable to order off the web too, serch for CB Radios and yr bound to find what you need!!
    Good Luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I like <font color=orange>Dukes Of Hazzard</font color=orange>....[​IMG]
    I bought all the parts at the local Radio Shack for under $50.
    [​IMG]

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'm running a 5' Wilson 1000. Mag mount. Best Damn antanee I've EVER used. Go down to the local truck stop and hunt the CB shop.

Kyle
    89K5

5. colorado_emt

colorado_emt Registered Member

The HAM shop i go to has some serious antennas. I Just look for one that covers around 20-30Mhz that's where the CB band is located. Now if your lookin' for any kind of range and quiality conversation's(not just a bunch of bad mouthin') you should check out Ham it far suprior, But i'm a litle bias, E-mail me if anyone intersted in HAM. E-Mail colorado_emt@hotmail.com

<font color=red>Chris</font color=red>
    <font color=blue>79 K-5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG]<font color=blue>EMS RULES</font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

You know, a lot of guys take offence to thier trucks referred to as SUVs, well I think ive found my pet peeve. I dont consider myself a redneck at all, and Id like to strangle Jeff Foxworthy for coming up with his own 'definition' of what redneck is. Sure its funny, and a lot of his jokes hit close to home, but up here in Canada, being referred to as a redneck isnt a good thing. It conjures up an image of the guys on the movie Deliverance... you know the type... well, anyways I dont like that name at all.

What was the question?? Oh ya, the whip... I dont know where you can get the actual antenna itself but I know that Radio Scrap carries the mounting and the base for around 10.00.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

7. 88Jimmy

88Jimmy 1/2 ton status

CB is 11 meter band not 20 to 30 Mhz

350 Vortec TPI D60 14Bolt 4"lift 35 BFG A/T

8. colorado_emt

25-27Mhz is the same as 11 meters. The 10 meter and 12 meter Ham bands surround the CB.

9. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Radio Shack still carries the whip, along with the connector to hold it down that connects to the window sill. I use an old tennis ball to keep it from rubbing the top. You can also use the Ham radio equivelent, you want one set for the 11 meter range.

10. colorado_emt

Sorry guys didn't mean to make CB look bad[​IMG] I still keep one in my rig right next to my 2m/70cm Ham rig which is right next to my scanner which is right next to my fire dept. radio. So sorry to all you CB fans out there. It still is a great service(mainly cuase price and no FCC license). There great for caravan's of 4X4's or anything.[​IMG]

11. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So are they huge 10ft whip antennas get the best range???I think it looks some redneck stuff...but gosh thats about all we have up in the panhandle of texas. Are they cheaper and better? or just huge and not worth anything?

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've had a radio shack mag mount on top of my pickup for about 2 weeks. I plan on pulling it off this weekend and installing a firestick on the bed. Here's why: I live on a dirt tree lined road and knock the dang thing off almost every day. I ran the wire through my third brake light and down the side of the cab cause I thought it looked better. But every time it comes off, it slams into my back window. Gusss that may be better than through the door cause I guess it'll hit your paint when it comes off. Anyway, I hate it and I'm going for something with a permanant mount. Just my .02

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

13. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah i see why that would happen...I live in a place where the only trees we have are mesquite bushs. I have one more question before I go and put a 14' whip on....how many watts can they handle, and is it legal for me to go under overpasses?

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

14. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

The steel whip u r referring to is the absolute best for a mobile CB with 18'feet of coax. Yes it is legal to go under overpasses with them and they can hold as much watts as you can give them. ut expect to see fireworks if you kick out more than a 1000watts depending. If you have trees aruond where you 4x or cruise then mount it in the front or back of the vehicle and pull it to the opposite end and tie it down (do not let the tip or any of the whip touch any metal except the mounted end, it will cause weak and distorted signal. Any CB shop has them for about $25-$30bucks.
    Dukes of Hazard or not I'm with ya

Professional JEEP EATER, it's a population control thing