Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gibson, Flowmaster, or Dynamax?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AJMBLAZER, Aug 12, 2000.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Okay, I've figured out that my cat is bad. Guy I work with gave me the name of a really good exhaust shop around here. So after I have my stock cat replaced with a Car Sounds 3" unit, the muffler is my next option. I want the most power I can get out of these 3, but would like some noise too. The 3" Gibson I have on it right now, and the 3" Flowmaster 40 series and 3" Dynomax UltraFlow is what they carry. Which should I use? Keep mine or one of the others? The Gibson is kinda quiet, so I will have no problem getting rid of it if it doesn't get any louder with the new cat. I want the most performance of the 3, with noise secondary. Any personal experience? I don't know much about the Dynomax stuff. Thanks for any help you guys can give. Oh yeah, and I'm not going to run it without a cat or muffler.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

2. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I have a Flowmaster and it sounds great. I have no idea if the performance is any better than any of the others, but I do know that Flowmaster has an excellent reputation. I am very happy with mine.

[​IMG]

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I agree, I have a pair of Flowmaster 2 chambers and they sound great. Just loud enough to make people turn around, not too loud where it gets anoying</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've got a pair of 3 chamber Flowmasters (2 1/2") they have a nice deep rumble without being annoying,but they are loud enough to turn heads without sounding shitty. Of course I don't have Cats either so you might want to go with 2 chamber mufflers.
    Just my 2 cents

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465/NP205,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

5. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

New 350, dynomax headers, no cats and 2 40 ser. flows, sounds perfect... never heard dynomax but have heard good things about them. I think you are wanting to ask the question, what of these mufflers has the best sound, not what is the loudest, b/c form what i have seen and heard they all are slightly different in their tones and sounds, flowmasters being the classic, rough gargling sound.

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com

6. hpfire7227

hpfire7227 Registered Member

I have the Flowmaster 40 series with a stock cat and stock exahust manifolds. It sounds great, although I'd actually like it a bit louder. With that aftermarket cat, you should get right where you want to be with the 40 series. My setup produces a nice mellow, throaty gurgly sound from idle to about 2000rpm, then it seems to quiet right down. Again, with that cat, you should be dead nuts on.

10 BOLTS O' FUN

7. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

I have dual 40 series two chambered flows and they sound awesome, definitely makes people look, and like they said it doesn't sound like crap.

"Have you driven over a ford lately?"

8. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Thanks for the sound info guys, but does anyone know about any performance aspects?

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

9. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Man, its real hard to tell. I had a 305 when i orginally had a cat, 1 flowmaster. Then went to no cats, 1 flowmaster. Then a new 350 swap with headers, no cats, 2 turbo mufflers ($14 each, lifetime warnt). Now just got 40 series Flows and big K&N filter so know with those last 2 mods, I could tell a difference. How much HP increase, I dont know, but you will be able to tell a difference no doubt. Side note, replaced my gf stick muffler on her 96 4dr Tahoe with dual 50 sers Flows and DEFFF. a difference there, lots more low end power and take off (as much as a 6,000 grocery getter can have)

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com