Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Giggle Gas ?'s......... for a daily driver

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Slayer, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    Giggle Gas ?\'s......... for a daily driver

<font color=red>Will giggle gas bottles stand up to being left inside parked trucks all day???
    </font color=red><font color=green>
    I'd like to run the injector plate style of NOS, but wonder whether the bottle would go B-O-O-M, while I'm inside earning more money to buy more toyz. Ah yes, the never-ending project.

</font color=green><font color=orange>Anyone have experience running the giggle gas in a daily driver???????????????
    </font color=orange>

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

Re: Giggle Gas ?\'s......... for a daily driver

ran one in my 5.0 mustang daily driver. if you are concerned route the pressure relief out of the passenger compartment, the bottle will never blow unless you are a fool and disable the pressure relief. although driving along and have it vent into the passenger compartment would be scary, especially for a smoker i bet.
    fool proof nitrous requires to optional switches, full throttle activation switch and rpm window switch for 3000rpm and cut off at 500rpm less then your redline. I never had them but will before I run juice again.
    the oil pressure and fuel pressure switches are excellent safety devices. if you run dedicated fuel supply run a fuel pressure switch on both fuel systems, lean is lean no matter which system lost fuel I have seen the results on a friend mud racing truck.

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

My firebird was my daily driver for 3 years. I raced it at the track everyweekend also. I ran nitrous on it for the whole three years. started at 100 shot, went to a 150 about a week later, and after the second year I went to a 200 shot. So far so good, It runs great and has the same amount of compression it had three years ago. Dont leave the bottle in direct sunlight where the bottle wwill get over 120 degrees, like here in the summer.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Yeah I have to say about the same. I have run a few nitrious cars, one being a daily driver. Bottle out of sunlight... Proper mods to support and safe guard the system (Remember always better to be too rich then lean). The only things I will add is one, make sure you get a nitrous pressure guage and use it. Too much or too little pressure in the bottle and you will have problems. If you have a cooler climate or may use it at night you may want to think about a bottle blanket to get the bottle warm so the bottle is at the right pressure. Two, if you want to have nitrous pretty much anytime and you don't want to have to bother opening or closing the valve on the bottle, make sure you get the remote bottle valve. You don't want to just leave the bottle open. That wrecks havoc on your solinoids and seals.And last of all three, Look very seriously at getting the purge kit! It is worth the money... one being if you accidentally engauge the nitrous when the vehicle is off it save s you from pulling all the plugs and cranking the motor over to purge the system. Also if you have the nitrous armed for a bit... even in a time as short as 2-3 minutes you can loose the mixture/concetration of nitrous at the end of the system by the solinoid. This will greatly impare the performance at fisrt... a quick purge and you are sure to have fresh stuff right off the bat.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

5. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Okay then, how would I keep the bottle out of direct sunlight in a K5 with all that glass????
    </font color=blue><font color=green>
    Should I hollow out the rear seat and mount it there, LOL????
    </font color=green><font color=red>
    Or maybe build some custom wooden and carpeted enclosure to hide the bottle????
    </font color=red>
    Any ideas????? Suggestions?????

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

it is way more fun to have a passenger climb into the back of the car to crank the bottle open while cutting through traffic

7. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

<font color=red>If you ever watch the Man Show, they say "celebrate midgets" so..........................................................
    </font color=red>

8. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I saw this pic once along time ago... just went out and found it using http://www.nettally.com/silly34/nitro.htm

You tell me... does it have the ability to blow up your rig? [​IMG] I think I'll skip it for now... [​IMG]

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

9. CaptCrunch

Yeah definetly if SHE is wearing a short skirt [​IMG] LMAO! [​IMG]

-Mikey
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

10. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Yea thats if you leave the bottle heater on for more than 3 hours and the blow off doesnt work. If you know what you are doing and hook it up so you blanket only turns on when the key is in the on position things like that wouldnt happen, now would it. Like I said before I have be running the bottle for three years on my daily driver and have alot of friends that do to and havent seen that(explosion) happen yet. If you buy the bottle blanket that will help with keeping the sun off of it.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

11. CaptCrunch

Slayer.... Basically just shield it from direct sun light. I would probably make a custom side panel with a big box on the backside with a door so you can access the bottle. I would make vents so air can flow a bit. If you live in a real hot area you may want to run a cheap little fan to push air out the vents. In reality I have never seen a bottle have any problems due to heat from the sun or weather is long is it is sheilded. Now if you are an idiot and wire a bottle heater to not be turned off when the key is on off (wire it to the ign lead so you can turn the key to on and it will turn on the bottle heater and all your nitrous stuff... also eliminates arming the nitrous while the car is off, draws, and leaving the bottle on) Like the guy on the link... well then you better make D@MN sure your switches are all off.The other no no is smoking around the bottle or heating the bottle w/ a torch to get it up to temp if it is cold. For the most part I think nitrous is pretty safe, you just have to do some research and be careful. It is really not much different from gasoline vapor in a safety sense. Chemically it is just oxygen. Occasionly things happen mysteriously, but that comes with wheeling or racing anyways... (BTW... all this talk is coming from a guy who actually had a mysterious problem with nitrious in my NMCA drag car a few years back and blew the motor big time)

Go with a moderate shot, start with overkill on the fuel... and do some good research and don't cut corners and you will be fine. It is one AWSOME mod!

-Mikey