Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gimme ideas of a good, mellow sounding muffler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Dec 26, 2005.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

When I had the exhaust re-done on my K5 a few years ago, I had dual 2 1/2" pipes to a y-pipe and then 3" to a 50 series SUV flowmaster, and dumping right behind the rear axle. Well, the thing sounds AWESOME, if you're standing outside the K5. It also sounds real good at cruising speed. But it is way too 'deep' when idling while cold, or with a load on it. The interior of the K5 just makes the sound resonate. You can feel it in your head. I want a muffler, 3" in/out, that sounds good, but is not too loud. What's a good alternative muff that will still flow good? Folks have told me a Dynomax turbo sounds good, and is quiet, but I haven't heard firsthand. What do you all reccomend? I am not looking for completely quiet, I just want to get rid of that low frequency droning. Something throaty, yet quiet(er).

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

my buddy has those flowmaster hushpowers...i like the way they sound.. but they are rather pricy....

they arent too loud until youreally get on it.. then they get semi loud.. but still have a real good rumble...

3. Joshinator

Joshinator Registered Member

I would try putting a full length tail pipe, one that would exit from under the truck. Help get the sound out from under it. And if that isnt enough, i would try a Big Block muffler from Flomaster, not sure of the seris number. Friend of mine has one on his K5, its a real nice deep throaty sound, but it doesnt resonate inside the truck.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

50 series SUV. Mine is almost silent. It has a slight growl/rumble with zero resonance. Just loud enough to barely hear over my 40" MTR's. Doesn't drain you after a day of wheeling like a 40 series does.

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I had a cherry bomb in the burban with a 350. It was alot cheaper than a flowmaster and IMO sounds better than a 40 series. But I've heard too many damn Z71s with 350s and 40 series flowmasters to like them anymore.

6. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

another way to get of the resonance you can weld in a resonance tube.
    I had a set of warlocks that were surprisingly quiet. they were 2.5" mufflers.
    I suspect that due to the dump-outs being reversed on the muffler it acted as a resonance tube. I also ran one of 'em over with a 6,000Lb suburban without it being crushed.

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Imco Turbos are a step down in resonance at cruise but still retain a nice acceleration rumble.