Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gimme some opinions please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Dec 27, 2002.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

My carb completely puked on me today. I'm looking at $70 for a rebuild kit and float,cleaning fluids and stuff plus my time and frustration, and beer, and lost tools cos I chucked them as far as I could throw them. I've heard the pro's and cons of the Edlebrock 1406. I used to have one and it was no problems, but I didn't do the kind of wheeling I do now. Does anyone have any horror stories about the Edlebrock? Any props? I don't have the dough to dish out for the Qjet style by the way /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> When modified correctly the Edelbrock works great off-road. I've had mine at some pretty severe angles and it works great for me. </font color>

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I guess I swear by the holley... Just an old standby. I would really like to try a predator carb though.

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Holley!! Holley?? I've never heard anyone say a Holley was good /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Course my QJet was a Holley rebuild and it really worked great til it just died. I think the float just got saturated and "sunk". I know there is an off road neeadle and seat package. Is there anything else that helps? Or is it just adjustments.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

What the hell is a neeadle?!!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

6. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

Two words FUEL INJECTION.
    And before that I ran a Q-Jet.
    To bad you dont live close I got one I would sell you real cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I ran one before I went to fuel injection. There is an off raod kit that you can buy that should help it out.

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I agree fuel injection is the best. Only problem for me is I don't know anything about them. The thing I like about a carb is they are easier to trouble shoot on the trail if something should go wrong. Then again I don't know that much about F.I. so maybe they aren't that difficult. STill expensive though. Do you guys carry extra sensors things like that when you wheel an injected setup?

9. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Well, I'd love to put FI on the old tub, but money just isn't what it used to be around here. I swear to God, 5 yrs ago I made 1/2 of what I do now and I always had money. Now my kids eat like famished goats, the wife spends and spends and spends. Anyway, my neighbor had a few Qjets laying around and we went to put one so I could move around and the manifold is stripped in one of the bolt holes. So now I kind of have an excuse to buy a new carb.( I'm NOT a good thread chaser) I'm curious about the Holley truck avenger. I heard they work reeeeeeeaaaaaly well. And the Edlebrock uses the other bolt holes anyway /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

10. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Holly's are great, when tuned correctly. My problem has always been getting them tuned correctly. The Q-jet's and edlebrocks, slap 'em on, turn a few screws and it runs decent, not perfect, but pretty good. The Holly' seem to run like crap unless in perfect tune, and getting that point, at least for me, seems to be difficult. In tune with the "Hollys are great" theory, when I was rebuilding the top half of my '78 K5 years ago, I bought the Holley tune -up parts kits (had all sorts of jets, springs, various floats, misc parts), and two huge books on "How to tune a Holley". Read the books BEFORE tunring any wrenches, built up the carb nice and slowly..over a period of days..put her on and it took me 2 months of tuning to get that thing to run where it wasn't burning a tank of gas just to get to the trailhead and where it wasn't hesitating..spittin'...whatever....but when I got it right...she ran great for years....

BlazerMan

11. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

The holley truck avenger is supposed to be out of the box slap it on fire it up never deal with it again quality

12. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator