Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gimme your head unit opinion

Discussion in 'Audio' started by laketex, Oct 8, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1065620455laketex">

Which radio to buy
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Kenwood
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Panasonic
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />Clarion
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

I want CD/MP3/Sirius compatible. Pick from these 3 units since i'm a cheap bastid and this is going in the K5. Needs to withstand a lot of shocks and be somewhat weatherproof. haha. All i need are 4 chanels and 1 set of preamps...

Kenwood: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-zNGk3UkWJ7w/ProdView.asp?s=0&amp;c=3&amp;g=62700&amp;I=113MP222&amp;o=m&amp;a=0&amp;cc=01&amp;avf=N

Panasonic: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-zNGk3UkWJ7w/ProdView.asp?s=0&amp;c=3&amp;g=62700&amp;I=133DF583&amp;o=m&amp;a=0&amp;cc=01&amp;avf=N

Clarion: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-zNGk3UkWJ7w/ProdView.asp?s=0&amp;c=3&amp;g=62700&amp;I=020DXZ635M&amp;o=m&amp;a=0&amp;cc=01&amp;avf=N

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

I did car audio installs and sales for 6 years and I can honestly say the only head units I will buy are Alpine, Pioneer and Panasonic. I say go for the Panasonic. Ive got one in my 86 S10 that has held up to about 4 years of constant abuse...I think theyre great units and priced right.

Later

3. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I voted for clarion but I would rather have a pioneer. I just think pioneer makes a better quality unit

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Pioneer!!!! Screw Panasonic too... I think they look cheezy, and they feel cheap. You and I can talk later Bryan...

-Dan

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I have the Kenwood MP522. Its a step up from what you have there. I like it a whole lot. I also got Sirius when Crutchfield had a deal going on. If you get Sirius you'll love it, its awesome. Crutchfield couldnt be easier to deal with too.

6. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Since you're forcing me to choose one of those 3, I'd take Kenwood if I had to. But I maintain that Pioneer is my MFG of choice in head units. [​IMG]

-Dan

7. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

If you listen to scratched disks, avoid Clarion like the plague (unless you are looking high-end), also, the less expensive Kenwoods don't play them well either. I don't have any experience with Panasonic, so I can't give you any help there. My advice is to visit your local shops with some of your favorite disks and pick a unit first-hand, regardless of brand. The brands i'd recommend are Nakamichi, Eclipse, Alpine, Pioneer, and, if you're looking in the $300 range, Kenwood.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Look into JVC. I've had alot of good luck with JVC headunits. I'll never own another Pioneer again after having a JVC. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

JVC stuff sucks unless you go and spend big money on their digifine stuff...if your not going with those three you put in the poll get and Eclipse or an Alpine unit...top notch stuff

Later

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I dissagree. I really like JVC. I run a KD-LX50 in my truck and am very very happy with it. Like any brand, if you buy thier cheepest, it'll be crap. I'm a firm beliver in you get what you pay for. But for the same quality I get in a 500 dollor JVC, I'd have to spend close to a thousand with Eclipse or Alpine. Granted both Eclipse or Alpine are very nice, but I get the same features and just as high quality with my JVC at half the price.

11. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Alpine CDA-7894 CD/MP3 player w/ remote - thats what I got and love it. Paid 294 about a year and a half ago here

new list of alpines

12. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Yea, I agree. I have a JVC KD-SH99 MP3 player and love it. Works great and was priced decent.

13. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Alpine seem to do best for me in rough riding 4x4s.

14. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

had an alpine cd player in my toyota and let me tell ya it kicked that sonys ass all over the place, better sound quality with the same speakers, and it skipped less..also was easier to use..

15. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

Usually I would personally say Clarion but given these three model I would go with the Panasonic. It has a much more appealing appearence, and the remote looks a lot more easier to use and understand quickly without looking at it. It's just me though!!!

16. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

My vote is for a clarion unit