Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gimme your opinion...again...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddin4fun, Feb 21, 2002.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Nick is tossing the idea of selling the camaro and getting a 4x4 like a toy or heep that will get good gas milage.
    See...the camaro needs a tranny and the motor has almost 200K on it and he's saying he'd rather spend that money on something he can have fun with. I dunno....good idea or bad? It's an IROC camaro....'87.

(I think he's just jealous cause I got the cool truck [​IMG])

<font color=green>Um....having trouble coming up with somptin good...</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't see it as a bad idea. A quick car or a capable 4x4 are both fun to own and drive, but IMHO the 4x4 will always be more practical than a Camaro. 200,000 is a lot of miles for any car, it might be a good time to sell before something spendy goes out.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I think it's a good idea. You can pull 20+ mpg out of a 4 cyl toy, as long as you keep your gearing/tire right. Plus you can save the cash on that paint job and lock it up f/r. To tell you the truth, I think a toy or a sami is the best easiest choice of economical 4x4s you can build. 2 lockrights and a set of 31" swamps and you're already there.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I just went throught that decision mode when I wanted a daily driver..........get an IROC with TPI (that I understand now) and about 20+ mpg with the proper Eprom tuning, or another 4X - the 4X won out...........there are plenty of 20+ mpg 6 cylinder 4X's that flat get it...........my 4.3 Jimmy is very quick, drove a couple of Jeep Cherokee's with the 4.0 that flat got it...........Chevy won out for me..............[​IMG]. Good thing about the Jeeps is you can put a decent lift, a locker or two and wheel with anyone..........even you, Lara [​IMG]

ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I've been looking into getting a Toy truck for a daily driver. if you get a 4x4, they come factory locked in the rear at least, and possibly a limited slip up front. if you drive it like an absolute pansy like my old roommate ( he shifts way too early... liek bogging it in every gear too early) you can pull 30 MPG out of a lil 2wd `gokart' as he always called the thing.

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>Its a Wheelbase Thing... You Wouldn't Understand</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>CK5 SUB-culture</font color=red>

6. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

do you guys travel?

a 383'd K5 with mudders and a toyota pickup both suck for ANY long distance travel.

i traded my '95 taurus SHO for my tacoma, and while i like the truck, the car was the ticket for daily driving comfort, taking trips ( houston to steamboat springs every march, cruise cuts out at 120....) and such.... oh yeah he's gonna be dissapointed in the get-up-and-go dept....

a second 4X4 is a second money hole.... i bought my wife a 2wd rodeo that works really well as an all around workhorse..... and it was easy to leave it stock!!

tell him to go get a first-gen eagle talon or mitsu eclipse- if he likes to fiddle with engines and such.... mid 12's and 20ish mpg are no problem.
    greg

* keep the greasy side down *