Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ginding 4hweel low to High

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89fullsiz, Mar 28, 2004.

1. 89fullsiz

89fullsiz Registered Member

Just took my Blazer wheeling for the first time. I have to say its a pretty capible vehicle!! I followed a crazy jeep and 4 runner that were going up everything. My stock Blazer followed them just fine on 32's in the mud up the hills everywhere that I could fit (although it got close in some areas) My Truck is COVERED in mud /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Anyways question is everything works good but when I go from 4wheel low into high it grinds a bit. I don't know if this is normal, if I'm doing something wrong or what I'm TOTALLY new to all of this! I have a 89 Blazer I'm assuming is stock with a 350tbi 241 case and 700r4 tranny.

Is the grinding normal? Not normal but not a big deal? Am I a dumbass and I need to do something special before putting it into 4wheel high???

I'll take pics and post them soon in the garage. Next time were taken the digital video I'll post those on the website /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

This is because of the automatic transmission. In nuetral, there is enough drag in the clutches that the output shaft will spin if there is no load on it. The only sure fire way to avoid the grinding with an auto is to shut off the engine and leave the transmission in nuetral. I'm not sure how "bad" the ginding is but mine has done it dozens of times. I just had it open and all of the gears and sprockets look find.

3. 89fullsiz

Cool the grinding isn't really bad and doesn't really stop you from putting it in 4wh high just didn't know if it is something going out or anything... If its normal I'm not going to worry about it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks!!!

Bobby

4. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This is because of the automatic transmission. In nuetral, there is enough drag in the clutches that the output shaft will spin if there is no load on it. The only sure fire way to avoid the grinding with an auto is to shut off the engine and leave the transmission in nuetral. I'm not sure how "bad" the ginding is but mine has done it dozens of times. I just had it open and all of the gears and sprockets look find.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, putting it in park will mechanically stop the output shaft from turning, so you can leave it running

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[quote
    actually, putting it in park will mechanically stop the output shaft from turning, so you can leave it running

[/ QUOTE ]
    Of course, but it also can cause binding in the driveline so that it is difficult or impossible to shift the transfer case. Plus, if you already have the Transfer Case in Nuetral and the output shaft of the tranny is turning, shifting to Park will just cause parking pawl ratcheting.

6. 89fullsiz

If I try to do it in park it won't even go into 4wheel high that is why I thought it needed to be in neutral? Man I need to get an owners manual or something /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If I try to do it in park it won't even go into 4wheel high that is why I thought it needed to be in neutral? Man I need to get an owners manual or something /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    they way you shift into 4lo from 4hi is out the shifter on the steering column in neutral, then shift smoothly from 4lo to 4-hi, and vice versa, going from 2hi to 4 high you can shift at any speed below 25 mph, but 4hi to 4 lo, like i said, stop the truck, put it in neutral, and on one swift smooth motion put it in 4lo /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 89fullsiz

Yeah it grinds going back into 4wheel high when I do exactly that. I stop the truck make sure wheels are straight put it in Neutral then put the transfer case in Neutral then when I put it into 4wheel high it grinds a little....

Nice to know on the 4wheel high I was doing the same thing for that stopping\neutral /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Neutral then put the transfer case in Neutral then when I put it into 4wheel high it grinds a little....

[/ QUOTE ]
    dont pause in neutral on the t-case do it in one smooth motion, or it will grind, i get my info from the service manual in the glove box that came with the truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 89fullsiz

Cool I'll try that what is that nuetral for then???

11. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Running the PTO.

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Mine only does that when she slips and hits the shifter,,eerrr, /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif i mean uh, aww nevermind /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

13. 89fullsiz

You mean like a wench or something right?? PTO ???