Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Give me a little brake guidance....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Gravel Maker, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker 1/2 ton status Vendor

We make 4 types of Brake caliper brackets, the 14 Bolt, and 3 Toyota models.

We are working on a D44 front because the stock are so wimpy and becoming harder and harder to find, and a D60 rear GM bracket. Both of these should be available next month. Both will be bent where needed to stay on the fair priced side of things.

What I'm looking for is what do you guys need? What axles are you using that the brackets aren't available or are just priced through the roof? We make them for $50 and less so fire away, we want to make 10 models by summers end.:eek1:

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

D60 Brackets to run 3/4 ton stuff. I know there is one guy on Pirate that makes them. Not sure how big of an intrest there would be, but TONS of people ask what BS of wheel they need to grind the least. I like my 4.125 BS wheels:wink1:

3. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Dan, I think if you could come up with a set up for the GM D70HD, it would be a good seller. There's lots of guys running them on trail rigs and tow rigs, and I for one would love to set up my tow rig with rear discs.
    Jimbo

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

That Supra part mentioned in your other post is the caliper FRORF (Brian Ellinger, brother of Scott E. @ Rockstomper) uses on their Yota rear disc conversion. I'm under the impression (possibly mistaken) that the Supras went away from the hydro-mech's too. So those calipers may not be easily available.

A friend converted his flat fender to 4w discs using stock Heep D30 front brackets. Took a while to find all 4 brackets. Might be a market there.

Rear disc conversions for yotas might be worth looking at, especially with this Formula Toyota thing coming along. I'd build those to use the SA front caliper, which is a fixed 4 piston caliper; and the SA front rotor in a slip-over mode if possible.

Would be a bit more spendy part, but it may pay to look into building a bracket that includes either the GM or Exploder parking drum brake for the 14bff & D60/70(/80t too?). I know I'd be interested in such a part.

BTW, just got my 14bff brackets from you. Nice looking burly parts. :waytogo:

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

How about some brackets that fit some rediculously big brake calipers? Like dual pistion fronts from 01-up HD gm trucks. Or wilwood (or somebody else's) 4 piston calipers. On a front 60 and 14 bolt rear. Maybe throw in some 14bSF'ers too.

6. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I agree.

7. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

8. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I like the idea of making brackets for common axles to hold enormous rotors and calipers.

9. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Here is an idea I have been thinking about for a while. Never really looked into how workable it is was though. If it is it would surely be popular.

Take your standard 14FF bracket and modify it so that it would also hold a Wilwood (or similar) mechanical brake caliper, along with the 3/4 ton front caliper.

The way I see it is that you would have a good mechanical parking brake and reliable disk brakes at the same time. If it works you would sell tons of them.

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

:1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp: my cab chassie flatbed 4x4 needs disk on the dulley 14ff rear bad. drum brakes are shot and need all new parts except drums and backing plates. help my axle. :1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp:

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I've held off on buying disc brake brackets and hardware for my 14FF because no one I know has a bolt on set-up with provisions for an emergency brake. I want a simple disc swap I can use my existing e-brake with. Might be asking a lot but I'll stick with drums until someone makes it.

If you produce one I'll buy it.

12. Gravel Maker

the 14 Bolt brackets we make fit the SF's too....

The have the same spacing.....

13. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

If you can make what I posted I will buy the first set you make

14. Gravel Maker

It is an interesting idea, sounds completly.....

Workable, I will look into this.....

15. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Sweet....

I have looked at the mechanical calipers on Wilwoods website but I know nothing about it really though. I would imagine a caliper like what is used for the driveline brakes would work......but it would need to be sized to fit the rotor thickness.

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

damn, 3 yota models? gonna have to check the website!

j

17. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

What has the same spacing?

Nevermind read the title.

18. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Like for these:
    [​IMG]
    That is wilwood's STR caliper. My mentor designed it. Bring yer wallet.
    When I worked there the mechanical calipers were going away. I see that it appears that they are gone. Mico makes some mechanical calipers for industrial applications. One of those may be made to work.

Were it me doing this, & I realize how much of an investment this might be, I would look at using one of the OE drum style p-brake rotors, p-brake parts and only make the bracket. It won't be a $60 bracket I know, but the overall performance of both systems will exceed any other known design.

19. Gravel Maker

I am not sure about those because of the smaller rotor....

But thats not impossible.....I will take apart an explorer 8,8 I have laying around, its in the way anywya....

20. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Come up with a good way to run a parking brake and disks on a 14FF anyway you like.

Mine might not be the best idea, but whatever the outcome of R&D on this is I will surely buy it. I hate not having a parking brake and I don;t have the case for a driveline brake since I would need to swap out my 208...