Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Give me some advice, oh old ones...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Yeah... Here's my sit-cha-ation...

I was talking to someone at UNC, which we all know I've been planning on attending next fall, and was informed that I really wouldn't have any classes AT ALL that pertain to my major until my junior year... That kinda sucks...

So I've been thinking the last couple of days, what if I just go to the community college for two years and then go to UNC for the business classes and get my bachelor's there?

Here is a list of pros and cons I've come up with:

Pros:

Community college - $4,000 a year, I can continue working at Little America, I have a free place to live, and it's a much smaller campus.

UNC - I can finally get the hell out of my parents house, get the full college experience, take some ROTC classes, and the girls at UNC are a lot cuter /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cons:

Community College - The only sensible living option would be my current one: a bedroom in my parent's house. Attending class full time and working full time wouldn't work too well, so I couldn't afford an apartment and the campus is about 3 minutes from my house, so living on campus would just be rather dumb. The people who work there other than instructors are rather dumb and unhelpful. I've found at UNC people know what's going on and how to answer my questions, at the Community College I was sent to 4 different people before someone could tell me how to sign up for the SAT test.

UNC - $18,000 a year, I'm not sure I could find a job for a little while, so I'd have to take out a loan to make payments on my truck for at least a couple months probably. No home-cooked meals. Plus, if I screw up and fail a class, I'm throwing a lot more money down the drain.

I know it's ultimately up to me, but what do you guys think I should do? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Capman, go to community college and save some $$. I went to community college first then went to Gator College for about 3 extra years. Plus, when you have your AA it's easy to get in. My community was paid for when I left and I worked at UPS the entire time I went. IF you can when you go to UNC try to apply at the UPS hub. They offer tuition reimbursment for part time employees and have multiple shifts for work. Oh it covers books too /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif You start around $9 an hour and only get around 20 hrs or so a week, but tuition makes up for it. Plus you get great insurance for price of union dues $20 month. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Trust me, in 2 years you can get the college experience and still save yur parents money. Been to UNC couple times, alot of hot girls, miss that about UF and each year you keep getting older and the girls stay the same age

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Save my parents money? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Sorry, I guess I didn't mention that it's 100% MY money paying for this... My parents would be saving money if I LEFT /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

well then def. go to community first, just make sure they are credited, it sucks when you go then they say you have to retake classes you paid your hard earned money for b/c of that sh#@. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif paid for mine myself, actually still paying for mine. apply for as many grants as possible. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Talk with the admissions people at UNC and find out if they will accept credit from the particular community college that you plan to attend. Get it IN WRITING. You don't want to waste time and money taking classes a 2nd time at a different school. Some schools go pretty easy on transferring credits, while others are a total pain in the a$$ about it. I think the latter just want to get more of your money. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

This is what many people do around here. It's hard as sh!t to get in the Unversity of Texas straight out of HS...you must be in the top 10% of your class.

So, most people who want a degree from UT go to ACC(Austin community college) first. One, its cheap as poo(~1500 for 30 hours including books) and it's easy to get accepted into the university, as others have said...as long as you maintain A's and B's. Our community college is nice because the profs do all they can to get you to pass, whereas at UT, they're there to fail your ass since UT has over 60k students.

Edit: (I clicked the wrong button /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

You can work full time and go to school full time, it isn't that hard. I'm taking 12 hours this semester. Even though I don't have a real job, I do odd jobs throughout the week so I can pay my bills. Living by yourself kicks ass. If this isn't an option for you then you might consider going straight to UNC. Here's the logic behind that. It is very difficult to find some dirt for you worm when you live with your parents. Example:
    Won't get ya laid:
    "Hey baby, wanna to go back to my room? My mom will cut the crust off of the bread if you want."
    Will get you laid(theoretically):
    "Hey baby, wanna go back to my place? I have a mirror on the ceiling" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway I'm going to community college right now so I can go into the USMC as a PFC instead of a Private. And if/when I get out, I'll go back to get my Associates and then transfer to UT...good luck

7. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Talk with the admissions people at UNC and find out if they will accept credit from the particular community college that you plan to attend. Get it IN WRITING. You don't want to waste time and money taking classes a 2nd time at a different school. Some schools go pretty easy on transferring credits, while others are a total pain in the a$$ about it. I think the latter just want to get more of your money. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that!
    I have friends that have gotten screwed because they took classes at a community college that they thought would transfer to a university, but didn't. They ended up having to take several classes over again.

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

You need to talk with an advisor at UNC that knows something about your intended major.

Going to a community college and getting your basic 2 years done works for some majors, but definitely doesn't work for others. I'm a mechanical engineering major, and I was already taking ME courses my first semester of college. The mechanical engineering department has a flowchart of what courses you should be taking during which semesters in order to graduate in 4 years. Going to a community college would NOT have helped me at all...it would have just set my graduation date back another 2 years.

What I'm trying to say: talk to an advisor at UNC and see what they say. Tell them your intended major and have them look up the course requirements for getting that degree...don't go on just what other people have told you. Going to a CC and transferring to UNC could either be a really smart idea, or dumb, but since I don't know what classes you're going to be required to take, I can't tell you which one it is.

9. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I am a ME major too. I don't know anyone who doesn't take classes for their major the first two years. Granted, they are lower division, but you still need them. I've found that you can generally pick out transfer students pretty easy. They always seem to be a little behind and asking annoying algebra questions when you're in calc. 4. If you got the green, go to the four year school, if not, you will still be getting a good education. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This is what many people do around here. It's hard as sh!t to get in the Unversity of Texas straight out of HS...you must be in the top 10% of your class.

So, most people who want a degree from UT go to ACC(Austin community college) first. One, its cheap as poo(~1500 for 30 hours including books) and it's easy to get accepted into the university, as others have said...as long as you maintain A's and B's. Our community college is nice because the profs do all they can to get you to pass, whereas at UT, they're there to fail your ass since UT has over 60k students.

Edit: (I clicked the wrong button /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

You can work full time and go to school full time, it isn't that hard. I'm taking 12 hours this semester. Even though I don't have a real job, I do odd jobs throughout the week so I can pay my bills. Living by yourself kicks ass. If this isn't an option for you then you might consider going straight to UNC. Here's the logic behind that. It is very difficult to find some dirt for you worm when you live with your parents. Example:
    Won't get ya laid:
    "Hey baby, wanna to go back to my room? My mom will cut the crust off of the bread if you want."
    Will get you laid(theoretically):
    "Hey baby, wanna go back to my place? I have a mirror on the ceiling" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway I'm going to community college right now so I can go into the USMC as a PFC instead of a Private. And if/when I get out, I'll go back to get my Associates and then transfer to UT...good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

but do you have a mirror on the ceiling? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Phfffftttt! No......well, yes...