Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Give me some help guys. What should I major in?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Mar 13, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm in need of a major that could possibly apply to the type of stuff I enjoy doing. Most of you people have "been there, done that" and I want some opinions.

working with my hands (LOVE!)
    trying new things
    4x4's (LOVE!)
    4x2's
    cars
    construction (metal & wood)
    design
    music (LOVE!)
    working with people
    recreation

Dislikes:
    authority
    desks
    paperwork
    kids playing with my Lego's

I'm almost a sophmore in college and I have no clue what to major in. NOTHING interests me about school, or choices in majors.

I've always dreamed of owning my own shop or being a musician. Maybe you guys can help me out.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Here's my only tip from you, straight from working in the corporate world. It doesn't matter what you major in. The important thing is that you have the peice of paper that says you stuck it out. Pick something universal like business. 3 guys that I work with (I'm in IT) have history degrees. The director of my group has a law degree. So like I say, it doesn't matter, just pick something that you're good at. Good at remembering facts? History is great. Good with numbers? Accounting or business. </font>

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

My major is business management. Pretty broad, and has lots of applications in almost any field.

I'm not a desk/office person either. I plan to start my own business, then when I go out of business, I could try and be a manager somewhere.

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Industrial Technologies? Industrial Engineering? Mechanical engineering?

All of these are fairly hands on....althought they are super tuff curriculums, I'm in industrial engineering, I like it because its like the best of all the engineerings all in one, leaves me open to a million differnt jobs as I will be considered as knowing the best workign process etc etc etc....a good degree in business could get you places as well, as fore mentioned, even if you want to be a mechanic at Firestone the rest of your life, having that diploma saying you stuck it out and something to fall back on will get you further in any career path you choose to pursue than anythign else

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

I absolutely suck at math. My highest high school level was Honors Algebra 2, and I almost failed that. And I can't see any point in History. WTF wants to know what happened? All I wanna know is what's going to happen or what's happening.

[ QUOTE ]
    Industrial Technologies? Industrial Engineering? Mechanical engineering?

All of these are fairly hands on....althought they are super tuff curriculums

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me about it. I was at Appalachian State for one year and tried Drafting. I had some in high school and did well at it, but the junk in college was too much of a hassle. In order to do my homework for that class, I had to walk 2 miles to the building just so I could use a drafting table. I dropped that class. It's funny though, cuz that's the 3 things everyone tells me to go into, but I have absolutely no interest on knowing how to draw a 4 dimensional chunk of metal.

6. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Anthropology

thats what i am majoring in. It great and its not that hard. Like someone said it really dosent matter over all. I will graduate and then go to chiropractic school next year.

I have the same list of likes and dislikes except I share my legos.

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    I have the same list of likes and dislikes except I share my legos.

[/ QUOTE ]

I share my Legos as well, but it's when my damn cousins bring over their children, the first thing they go for is my Technic models. THESE THINGS AIN'T CHEAP and they always seem to break them, so I end up tearing the whole thing apart to fix again. I mean, sure it gives me something to do, but when you can put together a 1500-2000 piece model in under 2 hours, you realize an insane amount of boredom has taken over your life.

8. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I would go with like a Business degree for sure. At the college I go to there is an Institute of Technology next door that is mostly 2 year programs. If you have something like this I would take some welding and fabricating classes.

BTW, Calculas isn't that hard depending on the teacher you have. The thing that gets me isn't the calculas it's the fact that it's been 4 years since I've had any algebra.

9. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey Ash,

I know what you could do that would involve people,4x4's working on trucks. Its pays ok and they pay for food and clothing you cant beat it. You also get all paid vacations and 30 days of vacation paid. It also has a GRRRRREAT medical plan. I'll give you the phone # to call 1800MARINES LOL just thought I would throw that in there hehehe. O and did I mention if you join the company now there sending you on an all expense paid trip to a sunny desert location for FREE!!! you cant beat that.

10. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Your interestes sound similar to mine, and Im going into Engineering. The only problem is you have to like math. Just to get a 2 year (associates) degree, you have to got through Differential Equations(Calculus 4)

11. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

beaver-oil-drilling 101 /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

small business management, finances, and take all the fabrication classes you can of any type.
    the open your own business.
    grant

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

At least look into being a Pharmacist. Don't laugh, those guys make $40-45 per HOUR and have an easy job.

14. BigOrange90Jimmy

I was gonna go in to the Air Force after high school, but the parents wanted me to get an education before I went. I think I pissed the Marine recruiter off though. They pulled their normal scheme of begging me to go, and so I asked them, "Hey, can I go to basic for the hell of it?" Those bastards hung up on me.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    working with my hands (LOVE!)
    trying new things
    4x4's (LOVE!)
    4x2's
    cars
    construction (metal &amp; wood)
    design
    music (LOVE!)
    working with people
    recreation

[/ QUOTE ] Think about a career in the National Forestry Dept. Look into what degrees are required. Just a thought from looking at your likes. I think it'd be kewl to be a Forest Ranger. Get to do some awsome wheeling while out doing patroles in the forest checking for stranded pavement pounders. I'm sure some parts of the job sucks-ass, but don't they all !!!!

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    beaver-oil-drilling 101

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're straight: Gynecology
    If you're not: Proctology

You could study Psychology and Proctology and start your own business. Call it:

Odds and Ends

J/K

As stated you want to try and go for a degree in something that is going to interest you (that will hopefully keep you motivated), but in the end, just having that piece of paper is going to do a lot for you nomatter what it's in. Yes having the degree in your field of employment will be more beneficial than one that is not, but any degree is better than no degree. This is not to be take as a bash to those that do not have their degree. Having a degree doesn't make you smarter or better, but it does tend to open up "certain doors".

17. BigOrange90Jimmy

That's a very good suggestion. What's even sweeter is the fact that they still use the M1008 and M1009's around here in the Forestry Service.

18. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

what Shaggy said, "It doesn't matter what you major in." just get the little paper. i majored in electronic engineering and worked in the firware/software world ever since.
    a few years ago i met this other programmer who majored in buisness, i laughed untill he read like 20 pages of assembly language and told me what the funtion was doing.

just finish school, get your little paper and do your best at it.

ARQ.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    That's a very good suggestion. What's even sweeter is the fact that they still use the M1008 and M1009's around here in the Forestry Service.

[/ QUOTE ] They use the M1008 and M1009's around here too.

20. speedup

speedup Registered Member

Hmmmm... I was sorta in the same boat in September. Started school at Oregon State and left 3 days later. I saw ahead of time that I had no motivation at the moment for anything other than my Blazer (sad? maybe). High school was one thing (I was valedictorian), but I can't see spending a lot of money for college until you know what you want to do.

Anyway, not suggesting you drop out, just saying I feel your pain. Right now I work for min. wage at a movie theater. I'm not going anywhere, but I feel I'm in a better place than when I was at school. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif