Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Give me yer opinion...

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Ryan B., Dec 6, 2002.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

So a D60 ARB and compressor will add up to like $800
    An OX locker is going for like $899
    And that detroit electrac is supposed to be coming out in early jan. which should be about $749.

They're all pretty close in price for a selectable locker...

Whats yer opinion on this... how about that design of the electrac with the shifting fork engaging the locker...
    I haven't seen any pic's of the cover, but it sounds like it has a thing that sticks outta the cover like 1" and about 4" wide for the plunger to engage that locker. (kinda like the "toaster oven" on the cover of that German locker)
    The cool thing about the electrac is when not engaged it's a limited slip up front and when engaged its full lock.
    I like the ARB because stuff won't get snagged...
    The ox looks nice too but a little spendy...
    I want to do this once, and do it right the first time, and be done with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm probally leaning towards the ARB but i figured i'd ask for some big dawg opinions to help me out here with the pro's and con's, or just personal preferance.

Does anyone know where to get this stuff (ARB & compressor) a little cheaper???

2. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

Ryan
    i am running the arb in my dana 44. when it is not engaged it is a limited slip. also with the arb you will have onboard air to air your tires up. and like you said less stuff to get hung up on. my concern witht the other 2 is how strong are the covers? it you smash one will the loker still work. i have no experiance with them. but i cas say i love my arb.

jeff /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

my question is how dependable is the ARB to air up tires? wouldn't its duty cycle kill it if i am trying to air up my 40's from 4 PSI??

4. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

Zakk we aired up 4 rigs when we left the rubicon with mine. it is not fast it took us about 45 min to a hour to air up all of them. but it does its job i have heard they do fine and a rebuild kit is only like 40 bucks.

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I had a friend that had an ARB with 33 inch tires and it took him more than 45 minutes to air up.
    By that time I had aired up with my TRUCK AIR that I bought from Kmart for 39 bucks.
    As for the ARB's reliability, I have seen problems from switches, air lines getting snagged or pinched and the old bolts getting loose in the carrier.
    I actually liked the Eaton E locker the most for it's Price under 700 and the simple mehchanism with no difference in the cover or anything but one simple electrical wire.
    I haven't decided yet either.
    By the way I had forgot to bookmark the site on the German locker, and I can't find the article that has it.
    Can you give me the link?

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

My ARBs do not turn into limited-slips when off.

When they are off, they are OPEN.

Curious about yours.

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Ryan,

I have aired up my 35" from 16 PSI to 35 PSI. It took me about 15 minutes. I usually "T" into one of those 5 gallon air compressor bottles in conjuction with my ARB compressor.

I have not had a mechanical, or electrical problem (except freezing problems) with my ARBs when I was on the trail. I do carry extra electrical wire, fuses, hose for the ARBs, compression fittings and connectors for the hose.

I LOVE my ARBs as this is my semi-daily driver.

All this being being said THESE THINGS SUCK A** in the SNOW!
    Apparenlty my lines froze when I was in 2 feet of FRESH snow. The lockers disconnected, and out came my big ass chains! That turned into hell frozen over.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

***I am thinking about running some pressured copper hose around my heater hose lines to keep the lines heated.***

I have had these ARBs for about five or so years now. I haven't changed the diff fluid yet. This is supposed to be changed every year because the seals on the ARB in the diffs.

Good luck with your decision.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I say do the ARB but rather than using the ARB compressor do a York setup. I spent about $300 on all the parts for my York, which is not cheap, but I also went all out, stainless braided hoses and lots of misc stuff that you really don't *need*, it's just nice to have. </font color>

9. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks for all the input here guys, i appriciate it.

I am not too concerned with airing up tires with the ARB compressor. It would be nice to have that option if necessary, but i have a power tank which takes about a minute and a half to air up each of my 35's from about 8 psi to 32. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Even airing up a 44 the power tank only takes a couple minutes. So the compressor would pretty much be for the air locker. I know you can run the ARB with the power tank, but i'd like to have an onboard compressor i think.
    The main thing is i want a selectable front locker, that wont get snagged on anything. If i bash the cover on a rock i don't want it to destroy anything. I guess you could always get a diff guard or build yer own to protcet that area.

I'll look into that York setup for the ARB.

I didn't think the eaton e-locker is out for a dana60 front yet! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Anyone know of a link or a place that sells the eaton e locker?

10. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

I hear Lincoln makes a good one! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

j/k'n with ya.

KEN

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Do you have the link to the german locker.
    The Eaton locker AFAIK doesn't have the D60 yet but it's comming soon.
    I will wait.

12. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Go with ARB because they sound cool.. *PSSST* /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Seriously though, I've been pondering this same question and I think I like Shaggy's setup the best. I'd wait on that Detroit Electrac, new products always seem to have bugs that need to be worked out. I'd wait to see if they can stand up to the "Pirate" style abuse.

13. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,
    you got the hint? ,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb,arb, <font color="red"> 1 FN HI K5 </font color>

14. Red Chevy Girl

Red Chevy Girl 1/2 ton status

I have a power lock in the front of mine and it ran me $115 my reason for this was when there is to much power to the wheels it unlocks instead of breaking an axle and to be honest I would rather take a different line than change an axle out. I looked into the arb and other lockers too but alot of people are running power locks for the very reason i'm doing so. An added benfit they're cheaper!!!

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Red Chevy Girl - Your reasons for running the powerlock make sense, but that logic mainly applies to rocks. When I ran a powerlock on dirt trails the powerlock worked great right up until you really needed it, such as the top of 5 fingers in Hollister, when it's really rutted and near vertical. Pismo is another place that full lockers are nice, they can make the difference between getting stuck or not.

The fact that the ARB can be turned on and off makes it better pretty much anywhere, IMHO. If you leave the ARB unlocked until you really need the extra traction, then breakage should really be no worse than with a powerlock. But as soon as you get 3 wheels spinning you don't HAVE to back up and try another line, like you would with the powerlock.

THis is all just my opinion, by the way. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>

16. Red Chevy Girl

Red Chevy Girl 1/2 ton status

Thats what about all I do with my chevy is play in the rocks. To be honest I haven't had to take an alternate line yet it takes alot for it to break loose is what I have found. The ARB can be good and bad, if you lose the air presure going in to the axle to a pin hole leak its done or something comes loose its gone to. I have seen both things happen several times on the trial.

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yep, the powerlock is a real nice unit. I found that by running only half a bottle of the additive it would stay locked a little longer, so it worked pretty well in the end. On the downside, doing that wears the clutches out a bit faster and it made alot more noise when I turned sharp. I still think that a selectable locker is an ideal way to go in any situation. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Of course it's still 90% driver and 10% equipment, so there ya go... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif </font color>

18. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

ARB this, ARB that, Trac this, TRAC that,,, it still isnt a jethro locker...................LOL