Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

give me your homemade exhuast ideas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Oct 24, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

for those of you that home brewed ur exhaust systems..wadga do!? pics!? im sick and tired of the stupid exhuast on my truck on how it doesn fit right..and hangs to low..but i dont wanna spend the money o na new system..unless i have to..i thought about using that flexible pipe ..kinda like flex pipe..but not as chinsy..it was all one peice of pipe you know..with the crinkles in it to bend..running that from the headers to some mufflers of choice..and turndowns..after i get some kind of decent system in it and hopefully finish the lift its ganna have to go as i just cant afford this stuff till i start makin more money /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I used our bender and just had to put 2 tiny bends in my exhaust. Headers through like 28" of 2 1/2" pipe to flowmaster 40s and thats it. Don't want to do the rest of the exhaust till I figure out where my springs and shocks will be. I have a welder and that bender though. The one side used a straight pipe no problem, the passenger side had to be bent to clear the tcase a little.

3. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

i built mine from the manifolds straight back on each side with 3" pipe to dual 3" glasspacks. it tucks up nice inside the framerails out of the way.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

87sm465np208 used the flexpipe and ran it out in front of his rear tires. Might try talkin to him.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

MISF & I buy mandrel U & J bends from JCW and piece together the system one bend at a time. I just went thru this in stainless steel for the LS1 powered YJ at work. Those bends came from SPD in Rancho Cordova, CA.

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea i was toying with that...but i dunno..found this pipe in pepboys thats little better than flew pipe its regualar pipe with crinkles in it you can just bend..but its all one solid peice. my main problem is getting passed the t-case cross member.. i could do it a lot easier just buying the stock pipes for it from the store..for the 73- whatever they go up to..thats what my dad did for his dual exhaust on his 79..but ill have to put manifolds on it instead of headers .yea headers are cool and all but when it comes to making a custom exhuast for one and changing plugs and other things there just kind of a PITA to me plus mine hang a little lower than the cross member to...would short ones be better insteads of long tube ones?

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I ran up between the frame and tcase, I don't know what if anything is different for you but it was very very easy to do. Like I said 2 bends to get around the tcase was all I needed. Heck I didn't really need to bend I could have dimpled the pipe with a hammer for enough clearance. My friend has an 86 short bed k10 with headers and exhaust and his goes under the crossmember. it looks HORRIBLE, especially since one pipe hangs lower than the other.

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bought flowmaster mandrel bends and pieced together my own system. Looks identical to a 300 dollar flowmaster system but only cost about 120 bucks.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yeap thats just how my k-10 is setup..and yea the passenger side hangs lower right!? it does looks horrible..thats why its dirving me up the wall..plus not to mention when im going over a mud pile or something it greatly reduces my high center clearence!!

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah mines always been up in the frame and my tcase xmember is scratched up pretty good from scraping so I can't imagine having my exhaust down there.

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

theres nothing wrong with the pipes themselfs there like new...its just setup so stupid..i keep thinking WHY did they bend it like this and not just do it right the first time!??..(PO's mistake!!) my dad doesnt get why i hate it but it drives me nuts lol

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I have no idea why my buddy did it either. I'm not sure he knows, ha, he had it done at the junkyard he used to work at I think but it was done since he owned it.

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]
    theres mine off the wagon, it's 2.5" tubing. I put $50 into it from collectors to turn downs. I used el cheapo mufflers, sicne they were small enough to turn sideways to give me the room to run my anti- wrap set up. also both sides are equal in every bend so almost no need for a balance pipe. Also it clears the fuel filter on the frame rail (tbi) and the transfercase linkage /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    the tail pipes exit under the frame rail in the back just to the tip of the bumper.

not too bad since I paid $540 to have the same kinda stuff put on my jimmy, excpet I used flowmasters there. everything hit (springs, shocks, driveline)

14. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

All parts bought from Auto Zone and cut and welded to fit.

[​IMG]

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

nice..you weld it urself? wish i knew how to do it id be set! i think welded is the way to go..when you get to peicing a lot of different peices together clamps and adapters just dont cut it ...to many places for leaks and things to get loose.

16. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

YA, I welded it. I tried to keep the joints down to a minimum. I still have to get the cat and muffler put on.