Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Give me your thoughts on my front spring setup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jim Johnson, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Registered Member

I am building a hybrid/cab-truck. I am using a Suburban frame and that has been shortened
    about 8"along with a 88 S-10 x-cab.I have also moved the front motor mounts back about 10" for better weight
    distribution. The rear end has some factor K5 springs with the ORD shackle flip. Hear
    is what I am doing to the front:

rear main leaf from a 77, mounted to original front hanger. I made some longer shackles
    for the rear ( 9") what I am going to do is redrill the center hole up about 2" to put my axle back where
    it should be and then combine some 4" lift springs to complete my spring pack.

Have any of you ran a front spring set up simular to this, and what are you thoughts on what I am doing????

Thanks
    Jim

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I am about to put 52'' rear springs onto the front of my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif. I have heard from other users here that they got 5'' of lift from the stock rear pack /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif so I don't think that modifying the rear pack with 4'' front springs is necessary. I don't know if it is the same for all years, but on my front hangers there are holes to move the front spring hanger forward approximately 2'' and that will move the axle forward about 1/2''. If you do use those holes you should be able to keep the shackle in the same place and get a slighly improved shackle angle /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

3. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Registered Member

I tried to use the factory rear pack, but one of the leaves was broken, and the pack was to thick to allow my u-bolts to
    be threaded onto ( D60)

My front hanger does not have another hole to move the spring forward. Once I get the truck together, I will let you know how its works....

It should at least ride great, hoping to get some good flex as well.