Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Giving the old 350 a rest

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazingboy, Jan 10, 2003.

1. blazingboy

blazingboy 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I am gonna give my old 350 a rest she has 175,000 on her and drinks down the oil. I got a 350 block and heads out of a 95 z71 I don't know if it was a Vortec ,but the heads need some work. If I put them on that block and they are Vortec heads will my intake work off my 87. Also I keep reading about self aligning rocker arms what are these and do I need them.

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

if its an 87 intake and from truck then its TBI and would work on the 95 engine yes, otherwise youd have to egg out the 4 center holes to get it to mount to non centerbolt heads('86 and down)

3. blazingboy

Well it looks like the Vortec wasen't made until 96 so I don't have anything to worry about I think I may go with a mild cam and bore out 40 over with a edlebrock intake should do pretty good.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So you are going with the '95 block?

Can't recall if truck motors were all roller by then, but if so, great. If not, its an easy/cheap conversion (newer blocks rule) and well worth it.

Second, I *personally* wouldn't bore a motor unless it needs it, and even then the bare minimum (.010, .020, .030, .040, .050, and .060 if you are lucky) just because you have that much more life left on the block should it need to come apart again. At .040, something goes somewhat wrong and scratches the cylinder wall, there isn't much left to work with.

5. blazingboy

Ok I have heard some stuff about TBI's and computers don't like cams I have found one, but will it make it less realible. What are some other options I could go with without anything radical.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

More radical than stock cams can cause problems, a lot of it is based on LSA.

Call the cam makers, tell them what you are doing, and they should be able to suggest some good cams for your application.