Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Giving up one of my kids for adoption.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Aug 29, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I really don't know if I'll be able to do this. After all, this kid is a part of me. In a way, I made it the way it is. And now I'm actually thinking of letting it go. It makes me sad, especially after being so faithful and dependable.

But it's maybe for the best for both of us. I don't know how I'll react if I really do let it go. It'll be an emotional parting.

If I'm this attached to my Crew cab, then what sort of a dad am I going to be when I have real kids?

So, whatcha think? Is it worth selling my '81 Crew Cab 1-ton 4x4, 454/465/205/14FF/60, 6" lift, 35's... in order to get a truck that gets 17mpg?

The thought of such good mileage and better towing power makes me want to, but I've done everything to my crew cab except remove or replace the body or frame themselves and it's never let me down when I needed it most. I think I might cry. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

tough one i love that truck but the call of 17mpg is intising
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well itll take alot of driving for the 17mpg vs now (assume 6) to make up the price difference between what you'll get for yours and what the new truck will cost.

4. mountainexplorer

I wouldn't buy a brand new truck. I'm looking at K30CJ's '79 Crew cab with a '91 Cummins swapped into it.

If I can sell mine for $4000 or $5000, then I need to come up with a $2800 or $3800 difference. And I'll be keeping my winch and lightbar off it. Then I don't have to tear mine apart to put my 5spd in it to gan a few mpg, cause the '79 is already set up with a 5spd and Cummins.

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Just think, you have had that '81 so long maybe it has just grow up and decided to move out /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You probably wouldn't feel bad after you have the new one home since your winch bumper and light bar will all fit the new truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    $2800 or $3800 difference

[/ QUOTE ]

How much would it cost to swap into your truck?

8. mountainexplorer

I haven't even seen a used Cummins engine for sale around here. So, I have no clue what one outright would cost, plus the conversion hassles.

9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

how could you???? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif just kidding.couldn't you just sell three or four hundred of your other trucks to buy the new one? that way you can keep the reliable crew cab and get better mileage. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. kennyw

Just a used cummins motor will cost anywhere from $2500-4000 not including most of the parts needed to make everything work or a 5 spd transmission. If you could get some money down on the Cummins truck to hold it until you sell your current truck I think it would be worth while. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't know man, those older square body K thru V series 1-ton 4 X 4 crew cabs are getting harder and harder to find.

12. kennyw

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know man, those older square body K thru V series 1-ton 4 X 4 crew cabs are getting harder and harder to find.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the truck he wants to buy as a replacement is the same body style crewcab /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just has a cummins and 5 spd already swapped into it.

13. 1-ton

[ QUOTE ]
    But the truck he wants to buy as a replacement is the same body style crewcab Just has a cummins and 5 spd already swapped into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not see any description on the vehicle Mountain Man wanted to by...other than "17 MPG", which made me assume maybe he was talking about a new Ford or Dodge Diesel. Another Square body 1-ton Crew Cab 4 X 4 with a Cummins diesel engine sounds interesting. I wonder if maybe I should do that with mine. Naaa...I think I will just throw a big block into it.

14. mountainexplorer

Yeah, its a '79 K30 Crew Cab that K30CJ has for sale, with a '91 Cummins motor. I just put a newer motor into my '81 Crew cab, and it's mechanically sound, but gets about 6mpg.

15. 1-ton

[ QUOTE ]
    gets about 6mpg

[/ QUOTE ]

YOW, 6 MPG! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Mine has a TBI 350 in it, and it gets about 12 MPG, but that 350 does not make enough power to tow much of anything. I think my truck was under powered from day one it came off the assembally line. A small block 350 just doesn't cut it with a 1-ton Crew Cab 4X4.

16. mountainexplorer

I made a trip across the state with it in April to tow a rig back, and I got 5.4 mpg on the average. With the different motor I put in in July, I went to Oregon and got 6.5 mpg with a 9' camper towing a mostly empty 22' car trailer. But even with the relatively strong running 454 in it, I just still wasn't satisfied with the power.

Maybe I'm just asking too much.

17. mountainexplorer

[ QUOTE ]
    couldn't you just sell three or four hundred of your other trucks to buy the new one?

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif That would mean I'd have to make them run first.

I have my '81 I can sell for $5000 or so, and I have Brutus to sell, (a '77 Crew Cab) that I'm expecting to get at least my investment back out of which is $1800-$2000.

But, Brutus's cash was supposed to go towards more re-investments on other rigs so I can keep the buying/selling cycle going.

18. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

yea, i understand, my friend dan does the same thing with quads. he started about 9 years ago with a thousand dollars. bought one fixed it and sold it for a profit and now he has a boat load of them.all for sale except three he really likes. hes moving into jet skis now. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

19. kennyw

Have you thought about just converting your '81 to a 6.2 or 6.5 with a turbo? That would probably satisfy your itch for better economy for a lot less money too.

20. mountainexplorer

I've never really been much of a Diesel person before. Mainly, after riding in a friend's Cummins truck, I decided I'd want a Cummins if anything.

If I don't get that truck, I'll probably just keep my gas thirsty jumbo sized child, and put in the NV4500. If I get the Cummins Crew Cab, I sell mine, and use the NV4500 for my Suburban.