Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Giving what is so freely given................and you say?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by uglychevyZZ4, Dec 11, 2002.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

I was wondering what you folks have done this year? you know, as far as for the local LESS fortunate. I know right now alot of us are having hard times and or out of work, and broke, and lost our 401k, and feeling the effect of the economy. I sure have, among other things in my life happening for the worst. This has been one of the worst years of my life as far as $$$$, and following the 2nd consecutive worst year emotionally.

It is easy to think of all thats shittee in life right now and think i have it so hard, but I dont REALLY. All I have to do is think of the folks in room 601 who lost thier baby on friday morning. I feel pretty grossly fortunate since then. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif and It is also easy to forget those who are also down on thier luck NOT of thier own fault and to remember to
    "give what has been so freely given to me"
    at a time that sends people over the edge and could make or break them or thie kids. I have had the luxury of friends like Ya'll to allow me to vent here and even sent us a gift certificate /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif and now i have to think of how to give what was so freely given to me by someone NO RICHER than I !

well, im broke, so what can I do? What can YOU do where you live? if I can buy a pack of smokes I can buy a 5.00 toy and give it away /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif i just hope everyone remembers thier own community, whether its the local fire department that could use a box of donuts, or a shelter that needs a roll of toilet paper, or the local elementary school that has a list of needy students that will be the only kid in thier class to come back after christmas without a new pair of jeans. c'mon, theyre $ 7.99 at wal-mart /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifso folks, whats the words on this???
    Rob

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I always buy a few toys for the "Toys for Tots" box down at the Harley-Davidison dealership. I know I'll never see the children that get them, but I know they WILL GET THEM, and it makes me feel good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I agree Ugly, It's the "little digs" in life that really count. I volunteer my time as a assistant Pop Warner coach here in Tucson. I mainly do it to make sure my kid has the best experience and doesn't end up with a dick for a coach. But it's really amazing to see the look on the parents faces when they tell me at the end of the season what a difference I/we have made in their sons life. It's amazing what a little encouragement, or a simple kind word can do for someone.

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

well, our club raised $3200 to donate to the IWK childrens hospital through the two charity runs we hold each year.

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Our Boy Scout Troop adopts a needy family each year and makes sure each member gets at least two or three nice gifts. We mainly get them items they need, like toiletries and some canned food, but we also make sure each one gets an item they want. They get to make a "wish list" for us and we try our best to fulfill it. If your troop doesn't do something like this, please suggest it. It is very emotionally rewarding.

6. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

That was good of you to post. I help children every day in my job(I work for a social service agency), but we also gave away 178 turkey dinners and will be giving out 234 toys this year. I also began the very first clothing drive here and have been doing it bi-annually for almost three years. Free clothes, coats, baby equipment, boots etc... I also donate to the local domestic violence unit as well. I think people need to remember the children and not judge them on who they got stuck with for parents. Anyone donating to the "Toys For Tots" I see the looks on the children's faces when they get their present(s) and it is priceless.

7. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Every year we adopt a local family for the holidays. We buy gifts for the whole family, and either buy them food, or give them gift certificates for grocery stores. This year, most of the cheap asses at the office "couldn't afford" the $20 each we usually spend, so the rest of us (oddly enough, the lower end of the pay scale at work) had to make up for it. Some people complained, but I don't think that $50 is too much to spend once a year to help out a family.

8. uglychevyZZ4

cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. NEOMASTINO2U

NEOMASTINO2U 1/2 ton status

well this time of year i always give to others, like last night when i was at the grocery store my first venture outside in quite awhile, i made sure we bought a whole dinner feast turkey and all plus desert to give to a family in need, my daughter adopted a family for the holidays, so we also got there 7 kids toys for christmas and clothes. then i had her go thru our cupboards for other can goods and stuff to give them a few extra meals for after christmas, i also donated to grims friend who got hurt real bad i just wish i had more for them, and we donate to the animal shelters, toys for tots, and the firefighters always get food and other things from us. oh i cant forget the national wildlife foundation we give what we can. even though i have other things going on in my life like dying and my own bills mounting i would rather give to someone else who needs the money more, i was supposed to feel up some new meds the doc wants me on but i bought some toys to give instead, this is the season to give to others less fortunate and if i can give up my meds then i can only hope others will give, others have helped me at times so its only fair that right that i return the generousity, i thought i had it bad with my disease but someday i will be lucky enough to go home to god, others will have to stay here and suffer so lets everyone ease some of that suffering this season for the sake of americas children they are our future lets show them that we do care! rob had such an excellent post and reminder to us all to give even if you don't have the money just cut out that latte or cup of coffe for a week or don't go wheeling for a weekend and the money saved from the gas or what not will be enough to get a toy or a meal for someone this season. i gave up my meds what are you going to give up?

10. uglychevyZZ4

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    i gave up my meds what are you going to give up?

[/ QUOTE ] well since you cant get blood out of a turnip /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif so far i have been helping my son's school collect and sort food, and distribute to locals familys and a few other small things, seems too little to me to make a difference but maybe alot to the person who recieves it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. NEOMASTINO2U

NEOMASTINO2U 1/2 ton status

sorry rob i guess that came out wrong! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i agree with your post about giving and even though money is tight and you and i have had a hell of a year we are still thinking of others. i was throwing that out there as a challenge to others to help give to even if it is just a little, it all counts right!?! you helping with your kids school collecting is awesome if people can''t donate then volunteer they need volunteers to and that is awesome to do and helps as much as giving money or food, doesn't do any good to donate food or money if there are no volunteers to help get it out there right! i guess i should of put it to challenge the ck5 community to show the world that we do care and we are good citizens not a bunch of wheeling freaks! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif so i will try this again okay! okay folks some if us have already sacrificed to give or volunteer so those who haven't yet lets hear what you can do to help! rob and i dare you! let the giving begin! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kelly

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The mall here has a thing called Secret Santa. Kids put tags on a christmas tree along with their cloths sizes and what they want. Most kids just want new coats or shoes. We grab four or five and fill out the orders. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Very noble thread, Rob!

Very nice of all you folks that go out and give!

I wanted to get a bunch of gift certificates to mcdonalds of whatever and give them to the bums that live in the subways and bug people on the street around here.
    Occasionally, I'll give one my metrocard if it has a subway or bus ride left on it, and I try to buy them coffee's if they're sitting out in the cold weather with thier hand out, regardless of the season. I'm not really out-of-my-way into doing nice things for people, but I figure a cup of coffee that ain't gonna change thier life may still give them 5 minutes in the sun... I don't know, nor am I interested in thier story, I just want to show them the whole world's not as dark as thier part of it!

14. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Our dealership gives to the local United Way. I think it's to the tune of about 50,000 a year. I give 300.00 a year, I wish I could go more but I have 3 kids and a wife to support, so I feel good about my gift...
    Jim /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif