Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Glad Im not in New Orleans

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stickseler, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Sounds Prety Bad, I hope these people make it through all this

1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED

HURRICANE KATRINAA MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED STRENGTH...RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969. MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. ATLEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED.

CONCRETE BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME WALL AND ROOF FAILURE. HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT. AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATEADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...

AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK. POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...

BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEWCROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BEKILLED.AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEARHURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE..

.ARECERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.ONCE TROPICAL STORM AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ONSET...DO NOT VENTUREOUTSIDE!LAZ038-040-050-056>070-282100-ASSUMPTION-LIVINGSTON-LOWER JEFFERSON-LOWER LAFOURCHE-LOWER PLAQUEMINES-LOWER ST. BERNARD-LOWER TERREBONNE-ORLEANS-ST. CHARLES-ST. JAMES-ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST-ST. TAMMANY-TANGIPAHOA-UPPER JEFFERSON-UPPER LAFOURCHE-UPPER PLAQUEMINES-UPPER ST. BERNARD-UPPER TERREBONNE-1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm just a little north. Sucks right now, but it's going to get worse. :(

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Where did you get that at? Doesn't look very professional, whoever wrote it...

Sucks, though, about the city... I hope all goes as well as possible :(

4. cbbr

It looks like the standard NOAA warning that we have been hearing all day. I quit listing to my weather radio earlier. I have memorized it.

5. cbbr

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

im glad im not there too. lived there for 2 months. u really realize yer below sea level when you are looking up at the river (levy)!!! :yikes:

7. cbbr

Local news from Baton Rouge - NOLA will be "uninhabitable" Tuesday. Look here.

They are saying that it will be completely flooded. I am about 60 miles north in B.R. It is going to be a long week.

8. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I have friends in NO and BR.... My sympathies go out to all you folks out there, but I won't hesitate to say that I'm glad it's not us again.

Best wishes, and good luck to everyone who will be affected. One thing is for sure, though....New Orleans will PHYSICALLY be changed. They're expecting this is be - well, it's going to be bad.

9. cbbr

You guys usually get these. You must have caught your limit. I do feel for the guys in NOLA - it could be very, very bad there.

10. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I don't think 'could' fits in that sentence.

11. cbbr

THere will be a lot of damage no matter what, but if it crosses lake ponchatrain to the west, the city will be, as stated by the local news guy "Atlantis". Bad case/Worse case, but I was not, by any means makeing light of the situation.

12. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

If people are looking for an example, if you'll remember the before and after satellite pictures after the tsunamis went through last year....how there was nothing but water where there had once been a city....that's what will very possibily happen. There's a very good chance the city of New Orleans will be under approx. 25 feet of water in the next 24 hours. :(

13. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

since my wife has got her desk clerk job at a hotel up in town every time something like this happens the hotel fills up with people down on the panhandle and in such places as la and lower miss. We are just a bit south of atl. by the way.

14. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

I'm 70 miles straight north of N.O., I think I'm going to be royally screwed!!!

15. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

My g-mom and g-pop live in Baton Rouge (in slidell) and they havent been answering there phones so hopefully they evacuated. I hope there house doesnt get to messed up :crazy:

16. cbbr

Among other things, the phone circuits here have been jammed all day. Cell phones are damn near usless and the land line has been only marginally better.

17. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

I moved out of NOLA in June. My bro is still in college there. He only went as far as BR, he's not too bright. I would have gone straight to TX. There were three hurricanes that were threatening when I lived there. Two dropped from category 3 or 4 hurricanes to tropical storms or depressions right befor landfall. We were always scared one would go up the river and dump the lake on the city. This may be the one. One of my buddy's cousins is NOPD. He has to stay and weather the storm. He also said the coroner's office ordered a fleet of refrigerated 18 wheeler trailers to hold corpses. Creepy.

All we can do is hope and pray.

18. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I hate to shed this light on the citizens of NO, but they will be underwater eventually anyways. The Mississippi River has historically "shifted", and the next projected shift is where NO is.

But, I will keep these residents in my thoughts over the next couple of weeks, and if more F.D. volunteers are needed, I'll be en route to LA.

19. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey you guys that are over that way be damn carefull ok it would suck to lose one in this big online family

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I feel for everyone in the path of the storm. I just don't understand why they built the city below sea level too begin with.