Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Glass Pack direction

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76_Cheyenne, Jan 29, 2002.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I just bought a whole new exhaust system and I was looking at the glass pack mufflers that came with the kit and im not sure which way they need to be mounted. Its like a cheese grater inside and i don't know whether the sharp side bolts towards the headers or the smooth side. Anyone know the answer?

Cowboy Up!

2. 88k5canuck

88k5canuck Registered Member

I had the same exact thing when I put my cherry bombs on. I mounted them so when you look into the tube you see the cheese grater flaps opening toward you.(not the back side of them). This end goes toward the engine. My understading those little flaps direct the air from the inner tube toward the outer tube. Sounds great done this way. I hope this helps.

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

You can do them either way. The way Canuck said will be quieter. Turn them around and they will be louder. What's the point of a glasspack that isn't muffling the sound though? They aren't that great for performance, and IMHO, straight pipes have a purer sound than glasspacks.

Turn them so the "flaps" act like scoops, like Canuck said.

4. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys that helps a lot and answered my question.

Cowboy Up!