Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Glass Packs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hardcore_rob, Jan 2, 2003.

1. hardcore_rob

hardcore_rob 1/2 ton status

whats everyones oppinion on them?, was thinking about putting a couple of my truck. The original exhaust is past its time. My friends always said they heated them up and got them wet to break the glass and make them louder, does it really work this way?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Most of 'em that I've heard sounded pretty bad. They have more of a blat-blat noise instead of the nice throaty rumble of a Flowmaster.

3. hardcore_rob

hardcore_rob 1/2 ton status

yeah i was thinking about flowmaster as well. just need something better than what i have and would love the low rumble, my 454 doesnt have anything to make it sound like a mean truck. sounds like a sissy....

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Also keep in mind that when it's louder it will be much more likely to attract the attention of the local constabulary! Sometimes quiet is good. It helps make you invisible. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

i just got dual glasspacks in oct,
    thinking of chaging them to flowmaster,
    there not bad at idle but on a 30 mile tripe to and from work there loud, at 65mph,
    1 + is i cant hear the kids fighting in the back seat /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I had one on my truck until last fall...I'd still have it on there if it weren't for the Wisconsin State Patrol. I loved the way it sounded (cat-back dual), but I agree, it was a little bit loud/annoying on longer trips. (That's why I got pulled over...noise violation)

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I like the Dynomax Bullet race mufflers they claim there LOUD but I dont think there that bad in the 23.5in but then agin do you want 3in pipe? If you want 2.5 I think you have to go with a 16.5in there kinnda like a glasspack but the material is differnt on the inside. btw I have heard a h pipe will quite it down and deepen the sound a little.

8. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

yer right on the H pipe , mine doesnt even sound like it has true dual with no cats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif they sont sound like any other glasspack ive ever heard either .

9. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

Hey what type of muffler is best for a nice tone, quiet when hunting, yet the guy in a Furd in the lane next to you will know it when you get on it?

I guess I'm talking best of both worlds here but I'm not into alot of noise when I'm creepin down a back road to get to my favorite spot. I love the sound of Flowmaster though. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

You could try a 70 series Flowmaster. The quiet one of the bunch.

11. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I have one glass pack in placi of the factory muffler on my pickup. It's a real long one though(from experience the longer the quieter). Its nice I like it alot and it only cost me $15 bucks.sounds real cool when you whinde it out getin on the freeway and stuff /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    1 + is i cant hear the kids fighting in the back seat

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I am sold where do I get them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

If you want reasonably quiet down low combined with loud at top end, try a 2 chamber flowmaster. I personally run 1 chambers and it is loud all the time...but it's not my daily driver.

14. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I have dual short glasspacks, They have a throaty sound to em. They're tollerable on the freeway for me when I have my music blasted /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i also don't have carpet in my Jimmy, so that doesn't help...

15. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

hey 79Beast, how exactly do you have your one chambers running? I was thinking no cats (don't have 'em anyways), dual one chambers dumped at about the back seat (I want to set off every car alarm I pass).

I also have another question for all of you: What would be louder, having the mufflers up at the front, like right behind where the cats go, or would they be louder right at the end of the exhaust? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. Chris87K5

Chris87K5 1/2 ton status

I have true duals with glasspacks behind dynomax headers and no cats and I love the sound. Its pretty loud all the time but I like it like that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Mine is 355 Small block, $78 flowtech headers (CRAP!), dual 2 1/2" pipe into 3" 1 chamber flowmasters with 3" turndowns. It dumps right before my rear axle....remember mine is a pickup.
    Having the mufflers at the end of the system is louder than having a few feet of pipe after the muffler.
    As to setting off car alarms, I still do it a lot BUT...if you want loud, I have some fire extinguisher cans that I used to run for mufflers that I can sell. They are the big cans with 2 1/2" in and 3" turndowns. I ran them for nearly a year before I found a GREAT deal on my 1 chambers. Very unique sound.

18. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

glass packs are definitely the cheap way to go. They are also fairly compact. They get kind of annoying in my opinion.

19. st08x

st08x Registered Member

magnaflow mufflers. have a quiet idle but rev it or gas it and they are loud, but then just cruising at high speeds they're not too annoying.
    my k-5

20. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I like the sound of those Turbo mufflers. Thats what I have right now. Its just the rest of the system that sucks. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif