Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Glasspacks and the Sound Police

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Oct 12, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

My current muffler is rusty and I want to replace it with a glasspack, but my dad doesn't want me to because he thinks I will get a ticket for being to loud. How much louder are they? Has anyone ever got a ticket for them? Thanks.
    Also, I'm running a stock 305.

[​IMG] YEEEE HAWWW!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I had glasspacks last year, and I dont think they're worth the $20 they cost. They are loud, but they have a rappy sound and actually reduce power. I changed mine out for a pair of Flowmaster 2 chambers a few months ago and I always get people coming up to me and saying "damn, that sounds nice, what exhaust is that?". The 2 chambers cause a lot of interior resonance (i dont care, i dont drive it daily), if you dont want that get the 50 series, they too sound nice. And, you can get Flowmaster to mail you a sheet saying they're muflers are 50-state legal. My freind got pulled over one day in his Monte and he showed the cop the sheet and he didnt get a ticket.</font color=blue>

3. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

I have glass packs and I haven't gotten a ticket. I've drove right by the police with those babys full throttle. I've just got a little 305 and people are surprized when they find out its just a 305, cuz its so loud. Sounds great too, had many compliments.

4. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

Ive got a 350 with mild cam its got hooker headers, 24 inch glasspacks and 6inch echo tips on it. I personally love the way it sounds (especially when I romp on it) Ive got a few buddy's that are cops and they say its not illegal. They said its rated on a decibal system and most cops do not have meters. Each state has certain laws pertaining to this. Go to your local police and ask'em. A descent muffler shop will be able to let you know I would think.

<font color=blue>SLODAWG</font color=blue>
    http://www.slodawg.coloradok5.com

5. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

I agree with biggray. They aren't worth it and they are very loud with power loss. You will get sick of it being so loud inside. I was running true duals with them and could not even talk to the person sitting next to me.
    Just one persons opinion.

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I've got dual glasspacks on my 75 Firebird and a 50 series on my truck. The Firebird sounds like a NACSAR racer when I hammer it. It's not illegal around here in NC, but I know it is up in PA. That 50-series drives me nuts in my truck. It makes the inside loud as hell. Wish I wouldn't have spent the money on it because it is my daily driver and driving me crazy. Luckily I am deaf in my left ear and I can't hear the exhaust too well. Unfortunately I'm having surgery to correct that tomorrow so I will hear it, if it doesn't make me go deaf that long after that.

http://www.ncclassics.com

7. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Have a single glasspack 3" in/out and a 12 inch case. Not really too loud, but after awhile the resonanace inside the truck gets to be too much. Also noticed a loos of low end power. Go with the flowmaster cat back exhaust, or do a custom with a flowmaster muffler.

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Its different for each truck. I think with a single exhaust with a cat it shouldn't be that obnoxious. Back in high school I had headers, 2.5 inch pipes and 'packs on a '79 Blazer and I loved it. I tried packs on my current Blazer and it just didn't sound the same. So I switched to 2 chamber Flows and I love it.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

9. DOUGHBOY

DOUGHBOY Registered Member

my 85 k5 has glass packs on it now.that is what really sold me on my blazer it sounded so good.well its been 6 weeks since i bought it .they are getting replaced in the morning.mind you my whole exhaust is new.it so loud its gets on my nerves now.of course i may just be getting old.

guns dont kill postal workers do

10. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Glasspacks are junk. I would suggest Flowmaster or would do some research so you get good quality mufflers. Sound is not everything!

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer

11. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Do headers really make that much difference if you have to run them through a catalytic converter??

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

12. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

>Do headers really make that much difference if you have to run them through a catalytic converter??

Yes... Due to the fact they have much better scavenging characteristics (ie: the exhaust coming out of one primary tube actually creates a vacume in the other three). Along with the larger primary/collector size, these are the main attributes of going to a header. On another note... The closer the restriction that you remove is to the exhaust port, the greater the effect it will have on power.

<font color=red>~BigBurban</font color=red>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Does anybody have Borlas? Do they sound better than Flowmasters??

[​IMG] YEEEE HAWWW!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

14. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has Borlason his 96 Camaro. It sounds pretty nice. He has a 6 speed though. Another friend has borlas ofn hos jeep and it sounds like some import oy something.
    (Pardon the spelling, I just got back from the hospital from ear surgeryt and I am a little druggged)

http://www.ncclassics.com

15. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I also agree with Biggray. Get the 40 series Flowmasters. You won't regret it. I have two on my Blazer with it's stock 350 and sounds very nice. The interior resonance is minimum in my case, maybe because I used an H-Pipe. I can speak softly inside and get listened. If you open your carb's secondaries everyone will notice you're coming, though. It's like the perfect balance between glasspacks and mufflers.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

16. 88K5Rhododendron

88K5Rhododendron Registered Member

I just put a glasspack on my 88 this morn... Enormous difference.. but that's coming from a meineke lifetimer...
    and just for fun I drove through a Freddies parking lot gunning it every few feet... I set off 4 car alarms! Sweet!

It's a 350 with a 3" in/out 24inch pack... but i put kerosine in it before they installed it ... so basically it's a straight pipe...

gasoline4life! Or rocket fuel... I could see my blazer with some rockets on it... :)

17. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I had some glasspacks on my 67 Chevelle (sb 350, not stock one bit), and one time I was going down N. Lamar (yes in Austin) and there was this cop up ahead on my left (no I didn't see him until it was too late) and he had someone pulled over on a side street. Well I had gunned it and was speeding and basically he heard me coming before I was even there. He ran to his car, turned it around and pulled me over for exhibition of acceleration. Needless to say, I changed them to turbo mufflers soon afterwards. Yeh, they sound good, but I like my Flowmasters better. Fyi, 3 chambers are quiter than 2 chamber Flowmasters. - Steve :)</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html