Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Glasspacks sound good?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lotsa_Faith, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

do glasspacks sound good w/5 1/2" echo tips on a carbureted 350 in yalls opinion, or would dual flowmaster 40's and 5 1/2" tips do the job? i want it to be louder than most textbook flowmasters w/3" echo tips....or would straights sound better w/ 5 1/2" tips than glasspacks?

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Not a big fan of glasspacks and would go with mufflers personally. 40's are loud... will make ya deaf!

BTW the louder you are the more likely some bored cop will stop you because that noise got their attention... some counties in some states even have fines if you exceed noise limits... so be warned! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

umm i like my glasspacks but they dont flow that good ,contrary to popular opinion . are u talking 5 1/2 long tips or diameter ??!!

4. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

I just had my glass packs replced with a couple of Turbo Mufflers. The packs where just too damned loud and did not flow that great. I got a lot of backfire with them. The Turbo Muffs still sound good. I am also running 18 inch echo tips.

5 1/2 inch echo tips?

5. barbastard

barbastard 1/2 ton status

yeah...I had glasspacks on my 77 k5 for a long time and they got to the point where they were just too loud. Plus all my exhaust piping was totally rusted. IMHO glasspacks just aren't the way to go. So...I sported $450 for a completely new exhaust system....2 1/2'' pipes "true" dual exhaust with a crossover pipe and flowmasters (I think the 40's). And it sounds KILLER!!! Was way worth the money and have absolutely no regrets. Just my 2 cents though...

6. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I'm also running the 40 series with duals. Had glasspacks before. The flowmasters sound much better but I think the glasspacks where louder. I prefer the flowmaster sound.

7. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

Did the duel 2-1/2 inch pipes and flowmasters give you any NOTICABLE increase in power or gas mileage? Or just noise? Also are you running headers or manifolds?

8. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I had the glass packs put on about 5-6 months ago to save a few bucks and after I get the headers out if the box it will be 40 series time with no cat and true duals I know the sound will be louder when you step on the right pedal but that's what I want..... I found a good shop that will do the 40's and dual 2 1/2" aluminized tube for 350....

9. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I'm running the 2.5 pipes with the dual 40 series and headers. Great increase in power, nice improvement in mileage, but not huge. Sound is much better than the glasspacks and manifolds.

10. OldBlew

OldBlew Registered Member

Re: Glasspacks sound good? *DELETED*

Post deleted by OldBlew

11. OldBlew

OldBlew Registered Member

Just put a single 3" 40 series on my suburban. It is pretty loud, and I like it that way. Like them better than the glasspacks.
    As someone else stated, I'm not sure if they increased the power or if it is just my foot. In any case I'm glad I spent the money on it.

12. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Funny how that right foot sames to have a mind of it's own!

13. Stomp

Stomp 1/2 ton status

Glass packs sound tacky. Just my two cents

14. barbastard

barbastard 1/2 ton status

Yeah..a little bit of help in the MPG department but I couldn't really tell any in the "power" department. The biggest gains were in tonal quality and overall noise REDUCTION. My glasspacks were so bad that it was almost unbareable. I remember pulling up to drive thru's (back when my K5 would fit thru them!!!) and the drive thru schmucks asking me to turn off my truck because they couldn't hear me....I'd laugh my ass off at them first, and then turn it off. Now with the flowmasters, dual pipes straight from the manifolds (yep..no headers), no cat's and a crossover pipe it just sounds SWEET!!! Nothing like the purr of a nice 350!!!! Good luck with whatever you decide.

CHEERS

15. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Its not considered a "true dual" if you have a crossover pipe. That pipe is also called a balance pipe. Reduces noise in half. Helps gian about 5 hp.