Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Glazed Brake shoes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Redfrog, Nov 17, 2001.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

My rear shoes have a slight glaze to them and they are only
    two months old. they are hanging up real bad could this be the cause? Is there any way I can take the glaze off or are they screwed? I don't really want to buy another set but since brakes are some what important I will if I have to.
    TIA

*wink*

my 79 rust bucket will run over your 2001 chevy 4X4 tahoe plastic wagon

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Glazed shoes in 2 months? Leads me to think somethingis hangng up.
    Check:
    - E-brake cables: Do they move? Are they in good shape(bent/rusted/outer houseing dmaged)? How's the "main" cable? Over adj. E-brake cable sys.? E-brake return spring on the cable in the drum, does it have low tension? To check, have someone work the E-brake on/off and check the movement of the shoes and related hardwear. Dose it return to about the same position? (there will be some miss-alighnment when the drums are not installed.)
    - Rear brake shoe return springs. Are they over-heated and streached, Causeing the shoes to drag?
    To check, remove the springs and inspect, no light should be seen betwen the coils. A.M. brake spring kits are avalible.
    - Rear axle seal leak? Check for any oily build up on the shoes or related harwear. Check the seal and axle flange, is there grease? The brakes should be dry, very dry. No leakage what-so-ever.
    - Over-adj brake screw? Was it backed off and re-adj, when the new shoes were installed? To check, spin the drum by hand, there should be a very light rubbing from the shoes to the drums. (*note- If he above is out of spec, than the shoes will rub, regadless of the adjuster screw*)

<font color=blue>Twiz</font color=blue>

3. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

I'd get some course sand paper and wipe off the glaze on the shoes. also, are there any burn spots on the drums itself??, did you have them turned?? did you spray brake cleaner on all of the parts to clean it out??

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html>http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html</a>