Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

global warming

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by surpip, Jan 26, 2007.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

what do you think?
    true, or something that has been blown way out of proportion by politicians with an agenda?
    links to prove or dissaprove it?

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

Spoda get up to like 60 something today. Must be because of all the automobiles zipping around as well as the evil factories.

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I think it's definitely a legitimate issue. The problem (as with many things) is some people run it up the flagpole, and treat it at the END OF THE WORLD ISSUE. It's a problem. My dad told me stories how him and his brothers would ice skate on the pond in town. I've never seen ice on it.

Anyone live out of town? Get more snow than the folks in town? Sometimes terrain does factor in, but not nearly enough to explain the difference.

I'm going to school for an AAS in Power Plant Operations, and it covers a bunch of topics, a big one being pollution. A lot of restrictions have been placed on plants to reduce environmental impact, but we still have a long way to go, and it's damn expensive. Lack of viable alternatives is the biggest problem.

Fusion anyone? :haha:

4. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Ooh, I can't wait for someone (jekbrown maybe?) to rip that apart! :haha:

5. hereinmissoula

hereinmissoula Registered Member

this is definately not blown out of proportion......

to get some more info on this, do more research on the web...., i can actually see global warming.. as i live in montana and the glaciers in glacier national park are almost gone, and weren't like 30 years ago, they have been there for 10's of thousands of years...

this is one of the major ways that we monitor the temperate differences on earth... (though scientists use the glaciers near greenland and measure ocean level's..... which are slowly rising and will begin to effect our whole eco-system, in a shorter period of time then we think.... there is alot info available about this... check it out

6. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I would tend to agree but it has been pretty close to normal for cold here lately. Some days were bitchin cold way below normal. However we have also broke records for warm days.

I would say it is an issue, but might not be as bad as they are saying.

7. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

Iamgine a pic here that is really big...:D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2007
  8. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

Sitting in Winnipeg which is far enough away from any ocean that I will never get hit. That winter will suck some serious bung hole though...

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

read state of fear by Micheal Crichton, he talks all about this.

Global polution is real and carbon monoxide leavels are rizeing, but global warming is not, at least not like what they would have you belive.

the earth weather has changed drasticly every 10,000 years, do you know when it changed last? thats right 10,000 years ago!!!

the earth temp has risen 0.03* in the last onehundread years

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I look at it in a rational way . If the system wants to believe the scientists , then we also must believe in evolution they bestow upon us .

So if things evolve , and man came from nature , everything we do is in our nature , thus its natural .

Expanded further , the scientists who believe in global warming , also MUST believe the planet will eventually evolve to account for everything man has done . If they don't they are stupid for believing in it in the first place .

However , its all a moot point , the scientists also believe the sun will eventually burn out . So we are toast anyway .

btw , I believe in GOD , all that happens on Earth is just a test anyway .

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Not sure...

One of my favorite singers recently signed on to help promote awareness of global warming,and has given speeches at Al Gores movie presentations of "An Inconvenient Truth",which shows how we have lost a lot of glaciers,and other things that global warming has caused--
    Did you know Glacier National Park in MT wont HAVE any glaciers soon?..you'd be amazed to see the "before and after" photos!..

Though I love the singer,I hope she doesn't get caught up in the political backlash surrounding Al Gore,and this very real situation..she bought a Toyota Puris to help conserve energy,and switched to flouresent bulbs,but then she hops on a tour bus that guzzles diesel,and/or flies to many concert dates..a bit hypocritical perhaps,but at least she's doing something to help,and if we all put flouresent lamps in our homes instead of regular bulbs ,we'd save enough oil to supply the whole country for one year..

Myself,I am a bit skeptical--the earth has always had temparature extremes,and we have had many years of cold winters with deep snow,and many that hardly snowed at all and were spring like..but we have to remember we have only been burning fossil fuels for roughly 100 years,and things have really changed as far as climate since then..more so than all of the time before that I bet..so I suppose we have had a real impact on our environment..I'm sure you'll all agree the past 100 years we have polluted the earth more than all the years prior,with both chemicals and gasses.....

We have had the warmest winter on record so far,up until 2 weeks ago we were having many 50 or 60 degree days!..now its 9 degrees outside!..it's very apparent storms are getting worse every year--look at Katrina,and the other natural disasters we have had recently..I'd never heard of a Sunami(SP) until the one hit a few years ago!..I recall winters being colder and more snowy than ones we had lately ,with the exception of 2003-04,when we got twelve FEET of snow,our usual average is 40"!...

But like every other "crisis",this will likely be blown out of proportion,and they will make it sound like doomsday is coming--it will,just mabe not in our lifetimes...I think Global Thermoneuclear WAR is a bigger threat to mankind right now..and I kinda like it being 60 degrees in January!..:rolleyes:

12. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

It is an issue. I totally agree. However, the glaciers melting, Ice from greenland melting, the fact that when I was kid there was always at least 5' of snow on the ground from december to march and now there's not, these are NOT indicators by themselves as the media would have you believe. This has all happened before. Glaciers recede and come back, average temperatures rise and fall over the years. It's a known fact.

They can pull ice cores from antartica or Nunuvut or Greenland to prove the above as fact.

The question comes as to the rate at which it's happening today. What they can't tell, or tell with much less certainty, is the rate these things have happened in the past. It's all guesswork, the rates that is, so who's to say it's happening faster or slower than it has before. Your never going to see 10-20-30 years in a 100' ice core that spans millions of years.

I personally, after reading alot about the subject, think that it is faster, but probably just a little bit faster.

But none the less, reducing emissions is a very good thing and all efforts should be made to make things as efficient and green as possible, but without reducing us back to stone carts and mud huts.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  13. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Here, just to scare you, here's a photo of the sign from Fox Glacier in NZ that we visted in 2003:
    Notice in 1970 it was smaller than it was today. It Grew!

[​IMG]

14. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Dimming the Sun homepage
    [​IMG] TV Program Description
    Original PBS Broadcast Date: April 18, 2006

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]"Dimming the Sun" investigates the discovery that the sunlight reaching Earth has been growing dimmer, which may seem surprising given all the international concern over global warming. At first glance, less sunlight might hardly seem to matter when our planet is stewing in greenhouse gases. But the discovery of global dimming has led several scientists to revise their models of the climate and how fast it's changing. According to one recent and highly controversial model, the worst-case warming scenario could be worse than anyone has predicted. "Dimming the Sun" unravels this baffling climate conundrum and the implications for Earth's future.

To find out what global dimming means for the fate of the planet, NOVA reports on the findings of the world's top climate detectives, including an American scientist who found a grim but crucial opportunity immediately following September 11, 2001, when the entire U.S. airline fleet was grounded for three days. This presented a unique opportunity to study the effects of airplane vapor trails on the atmosphere (see The Contrail Effect). Comparing changes in the daily temperature range showed that the absence of dimming from aircraft pollution alone made a marked difference to the temperature. This result hints at how much the effects of atmospheric pollution had been underestimated.

Working in Israel, Dr. Gerald Stanhill was one of the first to discover the surprising fact that less solar energy is reaching the Earth's surface. While his measurements were met with skepticism, a review of worldwide data by Stanhill and a German researcher demonstrated that during the 1980s and early '90s, sunlight reaching Earth's surface had dropped just about everywhere. Halfway around the world, independent studies by Australian scientists confirmed this disturbing diagnosis. (For more, see Discoveries in Global Dimming.)

Scientists have long known that increasing air pollution—the smog that clouds urban skies—endangers our respiratory health. But they had underestimated the impact of pollution on the amount of sunlight reaching Earth. Some scientists now believe that global dimming may also disturb rainfall patterns such as the Asian monsoon. If they are right, global dimming may be one of many factors that contributed to severe droughts and famines in Africa during the 1980s.

The good news is that pollution controls have slowed and possibly even halted global dimming during the last decade. The bad news—and the ironic twist in NOVA's story—is that without pollution, more sunlight is reaching Earth, revealing the full impact of global warming. Although all climate models have important uncertainties, the unsettling implication is that, with dimming fading away in many regions, global temperatures may rise even faster than most models have predicted.

15. pauly383

Droughts happen .

Famines are avoidable by rising up , saying to hell with the government , and making a better state for yourselves . Other countries in other continents don't starve . And people are people , right ?

16. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

We have not been around long enough to know if its global warming or not. The Earth has heating and cooling cycles just like everything else. When you look at record temps, look for when the last record was set. Many of them are from the 1950s. But when you stop to think that a real temperature change to the hot side, will bring about another ice age, does it really matter. There are so many other problems that don't get the attention of global warming, that are far more catastrophic. Our increasing use of fossile fuels and fresh (drinkable) water, will end life as we know it long before the natural, or human escalated, temperature rise will.
    Leper
    (resident dooms day monger)

17. pauly383

Ever see the "B" movie Millenium with Kris Kristofferson ? It had a woman come from the future , she had to chain smoke to make her lungs cope with our fresh air .

See humans will adapt , and movies come true , just as sure as Arnold is the Governor of California just like it was fortold in that Stallone movie about the future :wink1:

18. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I subscribe to the 10,000 year cycle theory. We're just in the warm period.
    I can remember about 35-40 years ago we ALWAYS had snow to play in, now we hardly ever do.

19. pauly383

I used to play in it too , Wayne County Detroit native , Arizona since 1983 .

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Can someone please delete or reduce the pics in this thread? I'd like to read it without scrolling back and forth... 800x600 for the sake of reading from work makes double-wide threads a big pita...