Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Global warming???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bablazer73, Jan 27, 2004.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

WHERE IS IT!!!!! i could use it!!!!
    10 deg, warming to 20 so I can get 17" of snow dumped on me! I wanna work on my truck and it don't fit in garage!!
    This sucks.... ok, I'm done ranting /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

You know what we all have to do right?
    Get outside, and spray a full can of CFC filled hairspray into the atmosphere! If we all do it, it will warm up Im sure!

Mike

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh but what would we do in the summertime? Its already too danged hot in july..

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah, 105 degress in Idaho is way too hot. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Try over 100 degrees everyday for anywhere from 1 to 3 months strait in the summer here. I won't go outside till it cools off to 80 something in the middle of the night. My fatass stays in with the centreal air when it gets hot !!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. lady bog

lady bog 1/2 ton status

I don't think there is a such thing as Global Warming. It's just a big to do that the government is making up. Just like they say we have no more fuel left.. they're just trying to make some extra cash.

I was just outside shoveling and there definately no global warmth here in Chicago /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

no doubt,, i dont know where its been for the last couole or three years, it doesnt evne seme to get over 100 in the summer here anymore like it had been

although if you look back in the past records, the weather seems to cycle every 20 or 30 years, its wierd.. especially with snowfall and such, central IL here used ot get snowfall crazy every winter and ive only seen crazy snowfall here like twice maybe ever, the year i was born i know here it was super hot in summe rand there was tons of snowfall in winter, but nowadays hardly any snowfall only like 6-8" overall all winter, and temps rarely over 100 now, bu\t some summers does get a rfew degrees over 100, but the high humidity makes it feel hotter though, of course,.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

global climate fluctuates in regular patterns for the most part... sometimes its warm (think dinosaur times, where southern canada was TROPICAL)...sometimes its cold (last ice age, where glaciers covered most of north america). Personally I'd MUCH rather have global warming (whether its man-caused or not) than another ice age, which would seriously ruin our day...

j

9. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

The term "Global Warming" refers to the condition of the weather masses in relation to each other and how they are affecting what we call "normal weather" at different locations on the planet.

The main and the most easilly understood explanation for the phenomina is that weather seems to go to the extremes in both directions. That means way too hot in the summer and way too cold in the winter. Spring will be late in comming and Fall will hit hard in some places and be late in others. Places where snow is abundent year round will experience a lack of snow in the summer months. Places that get moderate weather normally will experience tornadoes, hurricanes and other adverse weather for thier liking.

So you see,,, Global Warming does not mean that the earth is warming up on a linear scale or anything. It means that the average temperature of the earth is warming up in the wrong places.... For our liking anyways... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

so what are you saying? i just wasted all my canned paint, wifes hairspray, and discharged all my A/C units for nuthin???? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. landsmasher

Yep... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    It means that the average temperature of the earth is warming up in the wrong places.... For our liking anyways... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

true, but since that isn't even really happening I guess its not a problem. Urban heat island effect is accountable for atleast half of the "warming" over the last century. The key stat though, is that almost all of the warming over the last 100 years occured before CFCs were widely used. Additionally, CO2 and other man-made emmissions have increased dramatically in the last 30-40 years or so and the overall global temperature either hasn't increased at all, or has dropped slightly. This is why enviro-wackos frequently say "over the last 100 years, the temp has increased X degrees C!!!!!! the end is near!" Our emmisions affect the environment, there is no question about that... but the idea that there is a direct cause/effect is completely unproven in spite of all the $/time invested in researching the issue.

btw, i think its kinda funny when enviro nuts get pissed off about C02 emissions being high. a) its plant/tree food, isn't it good to feed the trees? and b) most people dont know this, but there are more trees in the united states now than there were 150 years ago. This is due mainly to extensive replanting efforts, the fighting of forest fires, and a general increase in global co2 levels.

j

13. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Jek was right when he said the global climate fluctuates. It is cyclical. We will continue to get hotter, and then eventually there will be another ice age, and then it will continue to get hotter, and then another ice age. It is just the cycle of the Earth. I recommend taking a geology of the Earth course to anyone who is interested. It is a very fun class, and full of cool facts to further your education! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Well all be dead long before the age of humans is over.

15. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    Well all be dead long before the age of humans is over.

[/ QUOTE ]

knock on wood... a good sized meteor could end the age of humans tomorow. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

16. landsmasher

I still say we need a "Knocking On Wood" emoticon. Cheryl?