Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Glove box/center console latch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ntsqd, Jun 6, 2006.

1. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

HTF does this thing come out? I've got one that is worn and another that I could replace it with if I could get the darned things to come out. The worn one has a key slot and the replacment has only the little hole.
    I'll guess that it takes a wire stuck in the little hole, but so far it's not worked for me.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not much help, but I'm curious if some actually locked, or what the deal is with the key slot. I thought I had seen some with key slots, but then others had just the hole.

I'd search for a glovebox latch removal post and see if that works on the hole one, but if one is actually a key, maybe you need the key to pull it??

3. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Mine has a key slot...yet I cannot lock it for the life of me. Of my two keys (round and rectangular), one of them fits and doesn't turn in any direction other than to open the latch...

4. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

I actually got mine to lock last week. i wanted to lock it cause i was taking the top off, so i sprayed alot of wd40 in the key slot, and under the cover. then i put the key in and wiggled it a little, then all of a suddend it turned counter clockwise and locked.

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

To remove the one with a lock, there should be a small hole in the center, stick the end of a small paper clip or small allen wrench into it, and then turn the glove box latch to the left. This should pop it off.

The one with no key, only has a retaining screw, to tighten down the locking latch. The knob for the latch is only a decrotive cover, which has a ridged groove locking it on, and pops on and off.

6. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Hmm, I'll have to fiddle with it some more. I did spray WD40 on it in the past, perhaps I'll have to use PB this time. I've also removed the top, but I have a big Rawson-Koenig box in the back which holds the important stuff. It would be nice to lock the console though!

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Mine just unscrewed when I painted the glovebox door.

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Removal:

• Open the glove box door and then re-lock it with it open.
    • Inside of the door there is about a ⅛” rectangle hole on the side of the cylinder case. You see the Lock cylinder escutcheon (threaded hollow bolt) and a lock pin.
    • Push in the set pin with a small tool (pick tool, hard wire or even a straiten paper clip works well and can be reused when installation is required) while gently pull the lock cylinder outwards. You’ll need to repeat this procedure one more time on the second pin. And the lock cylinder is removed.
    • I used a ½” allen wrench to remove the Lock cylinder escutcheon. There is a tool that made for this but I don’t have one.

Installation:

• Insert the Lock cylinder escutcheon back into the cylinder case, with the case pointing to the top of the glove box. Tighten the Lock cylinder escutcheon until the cylinder case doesn’t have any play in it.
    • You need to install a small wire down through the hole in the knob on the cylinder case. As you hold the set pins on the side of the lock in slide the wire down holding the set pins.
    • While holding the cylinder case latch in the closed position you’ll need to insert the lock cylinder into the case with the long leg (back side of lock cylinder) on the bottom. Release the lock cylinder latch.
    • Turn the lock cylinder knob clockwise until the latch opens and then pull the hard wire out of end of knob.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Thanks!

Gonna run home after work & try it.

Clarification: the locking one is in the center console of my new to me '91 Sub and the non-locking one is in the glove box door of my about to go to it's reward '79 Sub. As best as I can tell they are identical parts.

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

All the books I've seen have them both with the same part #... I haven't worked on the Center console lock yet that is the next one to look at and figure out how it all works.... Does any one else want a write up about this with pic's?

11. rocknutah

rocknutah Registered Member

You can grind down the head of a bolt to fit the cylinder retaining nut, if you don't have an allen wrench to fit.

12. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

good info thanks, I need to fix the loose latch on my crew cab glove box.

13. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The allen wrench that I'm using is really worn so don't just buy one and think it's going to work.... One side of mine works better than the other....

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I riped apart a center console lock ing latch. There are differences between the center console and glove box locks and latches... First off is the cases aren't the same, the glovebox has one ear and if your looking at it where the cylinder goes the ear is about 3' oclock, and on the center console there are two ears at 6 and 12. The escutcheon for the glovebox is shorter in length then it's counter part... due to thickness between the metal and the plastic....

15. Tabb

Tabb ROLL TIDE! AGAIN! GMOTM Winner

Mine has always locked (door key)I keep my detachable faceplate in there with my 6-disc cd changer. Also, If you have replaced your center dash speaker and had to buy them in pairs like I did, the other speaker fits nicely in lower front part of the center console if you have a rectangular grill for it.

16. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Did this help?

17. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Yes, it did.

FWIW both of the male threaded parts have an Octagon shaped socket, not a hexagon shape. So Allen wrenches, bolts etc. aren't a great fit.

Given the latch body tab issue I may just drive out the roll pins and swap the actual latch piece. Or just buy a whole new part. For now the cylinder is out and the top at least closes & doesn't rattle.

Wish these things came with a removable stainless liner. Then I could keep some soft drinks on ice in there.