Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

glove box codes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Aug 26, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

everyone on here says to look in the glovebox at the code panel.. am I missing something? my glove box just has like some kinda plastic liner and that's it.. I wanted to see if the gov-80 bomb code was on mine, but don't see the panel? where is it supposed to be in the glove box?

2. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Its normally a white sticker on the plastic inside the glove box. You'll be lucky if its readable, or even there in your 78

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Not always..

The RPO codes listing isn't always in the glove box(69-72 GM trucks had them inside the glove box door)--most 73-87 GM trucks have the code sheet laminated in plastic,and they glue them to the drivers side inner fender...not many survive there more than 5 years or so... I've found some "build sheets" under the seat,tucked between the springs and the padding on a few trucks..that might still be there if the seat's original,and the other "list" is gone...

One day long ago I was under my van,changing the oil--I noticed a factory hole in the unibody rail,it had a peice of paper in it!--at first I thought it was MONEY!! :laugh: --but after I spent 15 minites digging peices of it out,I was able to read it--it wasn't money :doah: :frown1: --it was the RPO code sheet--evidently someone stuffed it inside the boxed frame rail!! :mad: :crazy:

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Mine is an 87 and it is inside the glovebox on the door just in front of the little pocket on the drivers side of the glovebox. Since it is inside the glovebox it is protected and is style quite legible.

Ira

5. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

In the frame rail?!? That's crazy!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They obviously changed the sticker location in the mid-80's. My '83 was on the fender, every year after that I've seen has had them in the glovebox.

7. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

To find this RPO sheet in the fender would I open the hood?

8. diesel4me

Yup.

Yes--under the hood,on the inner drivers side fender..IF its still there!..as Dorian said,they started putting them in the glove box during the 80's..as were the 72 and older ones!..Why didn't they just KEEP putting them there?? :rolleyes: :crazy:

9. wazzabie

My 78 has the RPO code sheet in the glove box. The emmisions decal is under the hood. Never heard of RPO code sheets under the hood before.

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

on my 89 burb scotsdale 6.2 it is in the glovebox. the "rpo" codes are the 3 letter/# things right? where do you decode that at anyway?

11. wazzabie

Great question. I'm not sure of any source. However on the RPO build sheet it has the codes then the description to the right of the code.

It would be great to have a collection of all codes by year. This would be all the codes for all options along with descriptions. Maybe people could add there codes and the forum could build a collection.

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

It has already been done here

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

uhhm they were all on glovebox in all the trucks thative owned 67-87 all cept a few 82 83 trucks, and ive owned and looked at a TON of trucks in the last eleven years,

all my 73-80 trucks RPO lables have been on glovebox lid

ALL of them

never under hood

janesville and st louis plants

on trucks 87 up the sticker only has the codes and no descriptions and the sticker size decreased by alot,

i dunno about otherr plants like in GA and cali and such, who knows where they put the label in thosae plants as ive never had a truck from any plants other than st louis and janesville

it must depend on year and plant

i bet you it does.,

if you dont have one on glovebox lid or under hood on wheel tub then its gone someone peeled it off, they are easy to peel off, from 73 to 87 anyways

67-72 and 87 up are impossible to peel, will ruin them they are real thin and glued on, just like in the cars(84 is the first car spid label and most all of them are glued to underside of the trunk deck on rwd cars, and to the spare wheel cardboard trunk floor cover panel on FWD cars) car oens list no RPO descriptions either and are smaller like the car ones,
    the vans were stuck to uidnerside of hood most always on driver side and were same as the 73-86 truck ones with descriptions and all, though 86 probably like the trucks im sure

14. diesel4me

plant locations??

About 90% of all the trucks I see in my area and that I've owned were all made in Canada! :eek1: --they all have a maple leaf sticker on the door frame!..either that or the Tarrytown NY plant..I've seen very few trucks from other assembly plants--only one from TX,and another from MI..must be they ship trucks to the closest area to the plant..only makes sense not to ship them 1000+ miles!..they probably DO have different places to put the RPO sheet at different plants.. :confused: :crazy: