Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Glow Plug Button question

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 4x4dreamer, Feb 11, 2003.

1. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

The PO on my truck swapped out the automatic glow plug controller and put in a manual button. Not too long ago, I could bring my 'plugs to life. So I did the cheap thing first and swapped out te button with a starter button I found a Wal-Mart. It had twice the size and seemed pretty heavy duty, so I figured it would replace the cheapo button that was in there when I got the truck.
    The new button worked great, but then I started getting whiffs of burnt marshmallows. A few weeks later, smoke coming out of the dash. I pulled it out tonite, and it's coming from the button itself.
    My question is, what should I be using for a button. Obviously a starter button isn't going to cut it.
    thank you in advance.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I use any old button with a relay.
    Use a good 30A relay or better use a starter relay.

3. 4x4dreamer

This button had a big old relay on it...but the sucker kept smoking. could be it was a bad one. I'm gonna go find the biggest, baddest button I can. I'd like to get a switch, but I know I'd leave that sucker on.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Change the relay, it's going bad

5. 4x4dreamer

Bad news is, I was putting everything back together, somehow, despite the fact that everything was wrapped in Electrical tape, it grounded out agains the lower dash panel. Sparks and Fire, and it welded itself to the dash. Breaking it loose broke on of the terminals off the button...so I have to replace that anyway.

Where is this relay located approximatley.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    This button had a big old relay on it...but the sucker kept smoking

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was the relay you were talking about.
    To start fresh:
    Get a decent relay, and any new button, place the relay the closest you can to the power source, and use thick wires, and wire the button anywhere you want.
    If you need help with schematics let me know, but usually the relays come with a diagram of how to wire them.

7. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

8. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

I used the stock relay, just wired a little momentary switch from radio shack to it. If I remember right, the stock relay works by grounding it. In other words, install the switch, run one wire to ground on the dash, run the other wire to the relay. The when you press the button, you are grounding the relay. I'm fuzzy on it as I did it about 7 years ago, haven't had a single glowplug related problem since. I do remember being bumfuzzeled when applying 12v positive didn't do anything.

9. Why me?

Why me? Registered Member

Alot of times the controler isn't even bad. There is a diode inside the alternater that goes bad, and aplies voltage to the controler all the time (telling your controler your engine is warm.) Just check the brown wire at your alterater with the engine off. There should not be anything there. Also a bad diode in your altenater will make your radiator go bad fast! I would not use a manual switch without the resistors that Chevy runs in series with them. They help to "cushen" the glow plugs.

10. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Also a bad diode in your altenater will make your radiator go bad fast!

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

I'm also confused on the radiator thing????? I can understand the diode causing the controller to go bad, but thr radiator /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Elaborate please.

12. Why me?

I was a Chevy wrench for alot of years. Worked on alot of diesels in that time. Chevy would (early 80's,) put diesels in everything including citations, luv trucks, and chevetes. One thing that I noticed was when there was a premature radiator faliure, (always a leak from the core,) the delcotron was bad. It still put out voltage real good, but one or more of the diodes were bad. The guy at the radiator shop said that that was a common problem. It had to do with the eletrolite solution and the brass in the radiator. The fluid would always be nice and green, and sometimes I would even reuse it. It would "eat" small holes in the tank of the radiator.

13. 4x4dreamer

Can you please send me the schematics, I'm gonna have to tackle this soon.

14. Why me?

I have the books, but don't have a scanner here. When a diesel outfit would come in with a cold start problem, (and it got COLD in Montana,) I would first check the battery connections and make sure they were good. Measure them with a voltmeter. Alittle bit of resistence at that voltage will make alot of difference! I would then electricly check the glow plugs individaly. (Made a special tool to pull out the bulged glow plugs.) I would check the controler last. Never had a problem. I would then go get a cup of coffee.

15. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm, learn something every day. Thanks feller.

16. 4x4dreamer

Re: Glow Plug Button question FIXED

Went and bought a 35 amp Switch. I looked at the button I got again and it was only 10 amps, so no wonder it burned up. I decided to go with a switch so I could turn it on when I got it, and turn it off after I got my seatbelt on. Works great!!! My idiot light still comes on in the dash so I know if it's on, and I'm really careful about checking it. I'm pretty happy. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif is back on the road and I'm stoked!!!

Thanks guys!!

17. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Re: Glow Plug Button question FIXED

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif