Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Glow Plug Controller faulty?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big Blue 84, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Big Blue 84

Big Blue 84 Registered Member

Hello, I have a 1984 6.2L K5 Blazer that will not start. I believe the glow plugs and relay are good (changed 5 months ago), however the glow plug light and relay do not come on. The week before it would not start, I noticed the glow plug light would intermittently come on after the engine was warm.

Can anyone help? :D

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

stock setup??

Are your glowplugs still hooked up factory,or have you added a manual overide button to activate them??.

If its still stock,you can manually overide the controller by grounding the blue wire on the glow plug relay while the key is on--you'll hear the relay click as you ground that blue wire(you dont have to dissconnect it,just touch a grounded wire to it)..leave it grounded for a maximum of 10 seconds,and crank it over--it should start if the glowplug relay and its wiring is intact and getting 12V,and the glowplugs work...

I bypassed the controller on my 82 K20 with a 6.2 by installing a momentary pushbutton switch to ground that blue wire at the glowplug relay,and I just unplugged and taped over the plug that goes onto the controller that screws into the intake..and I used AC G60 glowplugs,which are supposedly less likely to mushroom like the OEM ones,and are better suited for "manual" operation..I use the seatbelt buzzer as a "timer"--I simply hold the button on as long as the buzzer is(about 6-10 seconds),and it starts right up..

Its started every time for me,even below zero without the block heater plugged in!..and I could only get 7 glowplugs OUT of my motor--one dead soldier refused to come out(probably swelled up)--and I havend dared to force it out--if it breaks I'll be screwed!- :doah: My injector lines wont survive being removed to get the injector out to remove the broken tip---I'm not going to mess with it!.. :crazy:

3. Big Blue 84

Thanks Diesel4me. I will give it a try. I am assuming it is stock since I am not aware of any modifications made to it.

4. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

ya, I had to do the same thing with my diesel mercury topaz. The controller gave out and I can't get one around here. On my car I ran all new wires to switches inside for the glow plugs. I didn't hook up the relays the first time and burnt up my plugs, so the next time around I ran them off the relays and it's been running fine for 3 years now.

5. Big Blue 84

Bypass Controller worked

Thanks for all the feedback. As recommended, I connected a wire from chassis ground to the relay terminal (with the blue wire connected to it) and the Blazer started. The glow plug light came on also.

Two questions:
    1) How do I wire to a switch?

2) How will I know if the glow plugs need to come on to start the vehicle? By turning on the relay manually, will I burn up the GP's faster?

Thanks for all feedback! :D

6. diesel4me

its simple...

All you need is a momentary push button switch--one wire from it to the blue wire on the glowplug relay.and the other wire to a good ground..(no need to disconnect the blue wire from the relay--just "tap" into it..)

Most 6.2's wont start without activating the glowplugs,even on a warm summer day--you wont have to energize them for long in warm weather,about 5 seconds should be long enough--add more time as the temparature drops..I'd use the G60 AC glowplugs on a manual override ,the stock ones can swell up and refuse to come out if you leave them on for too long.... :crazy:

7. Big Blue 84

Routing of wires to switch

10-4 on the glow plugs coming on, even on summer days, which basically answers my prior questions.

How do I route wires to the interior of the vehicle?

Thanks for the advice.

8. diesel4me

I just slid the wire thru the firewall where some other factory wires came thru--you could drill a hole and put a grommet in the firewall,but I think thats not really nessasary...there should be at least a few places you can sneak another wire thru..sometimes there are rubber plugs in the firewall you can snip the end off and put the wire thru... :crazy:

9. Big Blue 84

Thanks for all the help!

I was unsure of how to do it, and will now give it a try.

Thanks a bunch!