Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Glow Plug controller issue

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by savagek5diesel, Feb 2, 2004.

1. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifHey guys, just the other day something went wrong with the glow plugs and i'm stumped on fixing it /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif. I have the Haynes Diesel repair manual but it's diagrams might as well be in japanese. My truck has a manual glow plug switch thats hooked to a remote selenoid on the fender. Well, when i hit the switch, nothing happens, no click like it usually does, no voltage drop, nothing. I thought it might have been the selenoid so i replaced it. Still no luck. I replaced all the glow plugs last week because they were all really worn. Does anybody have advice on getting this done myself? I figured the next step would be going out and buying a multi meter and checking wire after wire. But one of the things thats keeping me from doing that is that the main power to the GP switch thats in the cab isn't getting any power at all. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The blue wire coming into the cab needs to be grounded to activate the GP's. It will not have power ever...

It sounds like the relay (solenoid) is either bad or not hooked up correctly. Did the replacement look exactly like the old one? I recently did mine and there were a few different versions of the GP solenoid at the parts place.

Rene

3. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

sounds like time to dig out the test light and make sure ya havnt blown a fuseable link or if a wire got discoed some were
    time to go hunting with your test light
    find were power stop and start and fix
    Good luck
    R
    P.S. oh ya can ya run a little wire between the 2 Large post's r and get power to the plugs with ignition on ?? ??
    you should be able to