Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Glow Plug Issues!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by fbronson, Jun 13, 2004.

1. fbronson

fbronson 1/2 ton status

Recently, I've had an interesting thing start to happen. After I've been driving for oh, say 1 or 2 minutes, the glow plugs will start to flicker on an off. Sometimes they will go through a full cycle, just like when I first start the truck, sometimes they just flicker, and once or twice they've stayed on long enough to make me worry about melting them (30 seconds or so) so I have to pull over, turn off the truck, and then start it back up. Anyone had this happen before? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Any ideas what it could be? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I've checked all the connections to the glow plug relay, and everything seems good.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Could be a bad controller which is at the rear of the engine next to the vacuum pump (if you have one)

Could also be a bad temp switch, also at the back of the motor but on the other side.

Rene

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Could be a bad controller which is at the rear of the engine next to the vacuum pump (if you have one)

Could also be a bad temp switch, also at the back of the motor but on the other side.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second the bad controller. Thats what mine started to do before it went out, it also killed all but 3 of my glow plugs.

4. fbronson

fbronson 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'll check out the controller and temp sensor... About how much do they cost, and is it worth it to install a manual GP switch? I live in Denver, CO, where it rarely gets below 0 degress F. BTW, cegusman, that is one sweet set up you have displayed in your posts! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Just curious about your tow rig: From your drawing, my buddy thinks you meant it to look like a Ford, I say Chevy. If you don't mind me asking, what is it?

5. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Get some new AC60s and you won't have to worry about burning your glow plugs out. You can get them at any of you local auto parts places! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. fbronson

fbronson 1/2 ton status

Actually, I am currently using AC60's, so I am not too worried about burning them out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif How many people use a manual GP switch, and is it worth my while to fore-go the temp unit and controller to install one? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Actually, I am currently using AC60's, so I am not too worried about burning them out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif How many people use a manual GP switch, and is it worth my while to fore-go the temp unit and controller to install one? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, from what I read in your first post you were worried about "melting" them.

Manual switch is great to have. The AC60's need a bit more glow time than the others to really get warmed up, unless you are using Kennedy's GPs.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I use a manual switch. With the AC 60G's the stock controller wouldn't cycle them long enough and it was a pain to start. With the manual set-up I cycle them about 4-5 seconds in warm weather, and about 10-12 seconds in the winter when it gets down into the low 30's.

In the summer (like now) if it's been running already I'll re-start up to an hour later without using the glow plugs at all. If it's even remotely warm it'll flash up in under 2 seconds. A good starter is probably more key to easy starts than the glow plugs IMO.

Rene