Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Glow plug light blinks once after truck is started

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by AzzKicker, Oct 10, 2002.

1. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Ok, I turn on pickup, GP light comes on and turns off, so I turn on truck. Once truck is on, glow plug light blinks after its on. This has me worried because in case one day it decides to stay on. What can cause this.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

There's nothing to worry about. 6.2s do this as the engine warms up. In the winter my GPs will cycle up to 10 times after the engine fires.......

I would be more worried if it DIDN'T happen.

3. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Cool. I wont worry then now that I know its normal.

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

It's called after-glow. It's supposed to aid the motor in running smoothly until it warms up some. It's normal for the plugs to cycle on and off for a about a minute or so. If it keeps cyclying on and off all the time, then that's another problem.

Casey

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I could be wromg on this, last time I read abot glow plugs was a couple of uears ago, but I think this system started with 85 model year. Is your's 85 or up?

6. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

All glow plug systems use after-glow. The '82-84 used a crappy thermo controller, and the 85+ used an electronic controller. Both cycled the plugs after starting, although I think the earlier systems cylced much more than the later ones.

Casey

7. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Ya mines an 85 and it really only cycles once after. And thats about it. It really only does the first time I turn it on for the day. I'm still fixing the truck up so I havent really been driving it too much. I usually just turn it on and will drive to the store etc. And say after I turn it back on at the store it wont do it. Usually just after it gets cold. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

Mine will intermittently cycle long after the truck has reached 'operating temperature'. Glow plug cycling will be normal to start it, and it will do the 'after-glow' thing, and they will stop cycling - but sometimes, they will begin to cycle again before I get to work (up to 10 minutes after they initially stopped cycling). Is this an indication of a failing temperature device in the system? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I've read somewhere that the '84 glow controller 'looks' at both temperature and voltage level to determine when to stop cycling (alternator output appears normal). At this point, after the truck warms up and the glow plugs stop cycling, I disconnect the glow relay to keep them from cycling as I'm driving down the road (they have 'stuck' on before while driving /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ). Am I in the ball-park on my diagnosis?

Thanks,
    Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif