Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Glow Plug Manual Switch Help!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by archer1, Jul 20, 2002.

1. archer1

archer1 Newbie

I have an 86 GMC Jimmy with a 6.2 and ATS turbo. After getting stuck 150 Kms deep in the bush because my glow plugs wouldn't cycle,,, long story,,(my mechanic had disconnected the ground to do a patch in the fuel line)~#@*** (ps I finally did get it going). I decided to make the leap and go with a manual switch and AC Delco 60G glow plugs, because it sounds from other postings on this site and freeautoadvice.com that this is the way to go, as far as reliabilty and funciionality are concerned. I have changed the glow plugs (what a nightmare that was behind the turbo manifold)
    My question is this, where do you hook up your switch lead to bypass the relay and the controller.?
    Other postings have described blue wire posts on the relay, and wiring in to posts off the relay, some describe something that looks like a solenoid type switch with a blue wire on the drivers fenderwell, (Ihave one of those) etc,,
    On my glowplug controller there are 2 posts at the front, a red wire on the right and 2 brown leads off the left post. Is this brown post where I should hook my switch lead up?
    When I get this manual switch wired in, do I have to depress this switch before I turn the key and send power to the controller unit or can I press it at any time. Does a manual switch bypass the controller or work in conjunction with it?

At this point, when I turn my key on, the glow plug light goes on and the relay cycles normally then turns off,, but no matter where I hook up a lead to ground, I can't get the relay to cycle again,, tks very much

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

3. archer1

archer1 Newbie

After getting a reply back on another board I thought I should post this clarification, as you can probably tell, I'm not quite clear on the electrical/automotive concept, definitely a learn as I go process;;;;.

I have installed a manual push button switch mounted on the dash, one post of the switch will be wired to ground, the other side to the relay so the relay will ground out when I hit the switch and power up the relay, bypassing the controller. (from what I've read this is the way to do it)

The owners manual shows the relay and controller as one unit, located on the firewall behind the intake, and I can definitely here a click from it when I cycle the glow plugs with the ignition switch, like I said earlier, there are 2 posts at the front of this relay/controller switch,,,,,,, red power in,,,,,, and brown power out to glow glugs?,,,, I'm just trying to verify,, is this brown post where I wire my switch,,, I want to make sure that there isn't some relay wired in elsewhere that I should be wiring into,, I welcome any and all replies, tks

86 Jimmy 6.2 ATS

4. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I've posted at least twice in this forum with complete directions on how to install a manual setup with 60g plugs and a ford starter solenoid. Try doing a search, it shouldn't be hard to find what you need.