Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Glow Plug Manual Switch Help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by archer1, Jul 20, 2002.

1. archer1

archer1 Newbie

I have an 86 GMC Jimmy with a 6.2 and ATS turbo. After getting stuck 150 Kms deep in the bush because my glow plugs wouldn't cycle,,, long story,,(my mechanic had disconnected the ground to do a patch in the fuel line)~#@*** (ps I finally did get it going). I decided to make the leap and go with a manual switch and AC Delco 60G glow plugs, because it sounds from other postings on this site and freeautoadvice.com that this is the way to go, as far as reliabilty and funciionality are concerned. I have changed the glow plugs (what a nightmare that was behind the turbo manifold)
    My question is this, where do you hook up your switch lead to bypass the relay and the controller.?
    Other postings have described blue wire posts on the relay, and wiring in to posts off the relay, some describe something that looks like a solenoid type switch with a blue wire on the drivers fenderwell, (Ihave one of those) etc,,
    On my glowplug controller there are 2 posts at the front, a red wire on the right and 2 brown leads off the left post. Is this brown post where I should hook my switch lead up?
    When I get this manual switch wired in, do I have to depress this switch before I turn the key and send power to the controller unit or can I press it at any time. Does a manual switch bypass the controller or work in conjunction with it?

At this point, when I turn my key on, the glow plug light goes on and the relay cycles normally then turns off,, but no matter where I hook up a lead to ground, I can't get the relay to cycle again,, tks very much

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

the glow plugs should be fed power by the relay, the controller limits when and how long the relay comes on. I would keep the relay and eliminate the controller portion of the circuit, the glow plugs use a condsiderable amount of power, and if you eliminate the relay you will have to use a heavy amp switch and heavy wires throughout to get the necessary amperage to the glow plugs. leave the glow plug wiring and relay intact, just wire a new separate switch in place to actuate the relay, it would be best to use a momentary switch to prevent leaving the glow plugs on too long. you can wire it up to work with the key on or off, it will depend where you get your power source for the relay.

3. archer1

archer1 Newbie

Tks very much 95 Silverado for taking the time to reply, after reading your response I have a better understanding of how the relay functions. Essentially what you're recommending, is what I am trying to do,,, I'm not quite clear on the concept and didn't explain myself as clearly as I should have.

I have installed a manual push button switch mounted on the dash, one post of the switch will be wired to ground, the other side to the relay so the relay will ground out when I hit the switch and power up the relay, bypassing tyhe controller as you describe.

The owners manual shows the relay and controller as one unit, and I can definitely here a click from it when I cycle the glow plugs with the ignition switch, like I said earlier, there are 2 posts at the front of this relay/controller switch,,,,,,, red power in,,,,,, and brown pwer out to glow glugs,,,, I'm just trying to verify,, is this brown post where I wire my switch,,, I want to make sure that there isn't some relay wired in elsewhere that I should be wiring into,, I welcome any and all replies, tks

4. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Be careful about removing the controller because it is a large safety assurance. If you leave the glow plugs on too long, the glow plug tips can literally burn off and fall into the pre-chambers. You would have to pull the heads to get them out. The controller would allow a long cycle when the engine is cold and provides shorter cycles as the plugs / engine warm up. This is for plug lifetime as well as optimal starting. For verification, buy the excellent troubleshooting guide here: http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com Good luck. JT

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

If you stick with a real AC Delco controller/relay you rarely have problems. But If you want to ditch it and go manual, ditch the whole controller and use a solenoid. CUCVs use a seperate solenoid mounted on the firewall. You can hear it "click" on and off.

6. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

it may be easier to buy a solenoid and mount it on the fenderwell, use a solenoid similar to a ford starter solenoid, it will have two large posts, battery in and power out,relay coil pos. and relay coil neg., hook the power in directly to the battery, run the glow plug wire to the power out, I would hook the coil pos. to a switched ign. source so that the key would have to be on to operate the glow plugs, run the coil neg. to your pushbutton