Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

glow plug problems

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by LA90k5, Nov 26, 2006.

1. LA90k5

LA90k5 Registered Member

I need some help. I changed my starter Friday. After hooking the batteries back up, I started the engine and it started fine. Saturday, I went to finish putting the cover back on the torque converter. After I picked everything up, I tried to start the truck, but the glow plug light didn't come on. I didn't even hear the relay click. I checked the connections on the controller and on the batteries and they were fine. My meter isn't working, so I am limited on troubleshooting right now. I changed the glow plug controller today, and I still have no glow plugs. The starter turns the engine fine, the glow plugs just aren't working. I changed the glow plugs and controller last December. This vehicle is a 90 k5. Also, I checked the fuses and they appeared fine. Any help solving this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Scott

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like it could be a bad glow plug relay. It looks like a Ford starter solenoid...

Rene

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Don't know if you fixed this yet or not, but I had the same issue. Try using a jumper wire on the solenoid. One end of the wire on both the input and output. Hold it for about 8 seconds (wire should get hot) then try to start. If this works then the solenoid is good. This was the case with my truck. There was a 12V relay going to the solenoid that ended up being bad. Changed this out and all is well now.......

4. LA90k5

LA90k5 Registered Member

Yes, I did get it fixed. I don't remember exactly what I did, but it wasn't much. I think I had a bad connection or something. The last relay I put in never worked well, but this one is doing fine. Thanks for the reply.