Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

glow plug question

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by CustomCruiser, Dec 14, 2002.

1. CustomCruiser

CustomCruiser Registered Member

Drove to Dallas and back last Sat. Got 21mpg. Truck sat for two days and would not start Monday. Relay ops check ok. Controller (new) ops check ok. System cycles normal but no power is getting to the glow plugs. When all eight are unplugged, power gets through. I pulled several plugs and they look in normal and fairly new condition but have not tested them yet. Manual bypass of the system had no better result. Plugging in one at a time had no result. GP light works normal when all are unplugged but is barely visable when any or all are plugged in. Engine ground is good. No faults found in wiring harness. Is it possible for all eight GP's to fail at the same time? Thanks

2. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

It is possible for all 8 plugs to go bad at the same time and that sounds like what happened to you. Test them by testing the resistance accross each plug. I think it should be somthing like 1-5 ohms. If you get infinite resistance across the plug then its bad.

3. CustomCruiser

Thanks. Having driven 5+ hours straight is it possible to cook the plugs if they were old? Could it have been a stuck controller or a surge?

4. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

I am not 100% sure on this but I think that if the glowplug light in the dash goes out the wiring is ran in series with it and you wont get power from the controler to the relay. I feel for you, had a heck of a problem with my g.p.system. Replaced the glowplugs, controler and relay 3 times in 2 years. Never did figure out what the problem was, neither did 2 different dealerships. I finally just ran a momentary switch to the stock relay and run the glowplugs manually. The dern controller would just go ape crap at different times, sometimes it would not come on at all, then come on once the engine was started{by ether} and stay on burning up the plugs. Sometimes it just wouldn't come on at all for a couple of days. I think it was a short in a wire in the dash or a bad connection that caused high resistance that in turned caused the controller to go bad. Either way I fixed it for good, haven't bought a glowplug in 6 years and about 50K miles!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. CustomCruiser

Problem solved after a nine day, two hundred dollar learning experience. The passenger side battery had a bad cell. Both batteries were less then a year old. Never mind, I've done much worse. Thanks for the input.

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifGlad it was simple!