Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

glow plug relay and furd taurus fan

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by clstolten, Apr 11, 2006.

1. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

Picked up a taurus fan and also found a beefy looking relay from a diesel truck. I think it is used for the glow plugs. Anybody know what kind of current this relay can handle? I think the ford fan pulls 30 amps constant. The relay cost me nothing at the yard and I can find a spare no problem so it would be ideal for a cheap setup. Thanks.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hmmmm,....

I'd use a genuine Fan relay,or a "Continuous duty" solenoid with a metal case...Ford solenoids and ones used for glow plugs are only meant to stay "on" for a few seconds,and can melt if left on more than a few moments..ones with bakelite cases are not suitable,I've seen trucks burn when someone used a ford starter solenoid to power a plow beacon light bar like those on a police cruiser or fire truck...use the right parts,its cheaper than a new truck..:crazy:

3. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

I think I heard somewhere that it will pull like 70 amps when the high speed kicks on, and drop back down to 30 amps when running. Not totally sure if this is for the astro van or the taurus.

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Search "Ford Taurus fan", I had a long post about them a couple years ago. I put an amprobe on it while I started it from a stop, and while going from low speed to high speed, I also measured the current surge from stop to high speed. FWIW, I run mine off 30A relays, no problems in two years or so.

5. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I will run 30 amp relays in parrallel.