Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

glow plug relay bad --- not

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by thedrip, Nov 12, 2006.

1. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

Another misdiagnosis by the village idiot. Seems My glow plug controller is toasty. So, manual pushbutton on the dash when I wire the truck. Easy enough. Truck is still sketchy starting on 12v, starts on 24v everytime.

Edit: could my forays into the world of 24v have killed the controller? not that I really care that much, just wondering so as other people will know to expect controller death if they try it.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Don't feel bad, I just made the same misdiagnosis (and now have a spare relay :rolleyes: )

It could be that the 24V thing finished it off. Are you talking about the relay or the controller?

In my case there was a bit of strain on one plug/connector due to some re-routing I did when installing the hydro clutch master.

If you're talking about the controller you should be able to bypass that when you go manual push button.

Rene

3. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I was talking about the controller, but I've already swapped solenoids now, so I guess I too, have a spare, and my truck now has a civvy solenoid in it, should it ever need replaced again. Incidentally, the mounting bolt pattern to the firewall was the same, just needed longer screws, and remove the quick connect adapters on the solenoid to leave just the studs remaining.

4. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

haha i did the same thing. converted to push button on the dash and it works great now. spare solenoid for me as well.

now for my noob question of the day... on an 83 6.2, is it 12v or 24? and which is better? im assuming 12v...

5. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

all the civvy trucks are 12v, the cucv's are half converted 12/24 systems. Most of the truck still runs on 12, but the starting system is 24v (to keep everything compatible as far as jumping off other vehicles and such in the military). Really, nothing else runs 24v on the cucv's except the starter, or anything that had to be converted to make the 24 starter work (funky alts, ballast resistors for the glowplugs).

6. ccatlett1984

ccatlett1984 1/2 ton status

the alts really arent funky, they are standard 12v alts with a ground that is isolated from the case. any starter/alternator shop can rebuild them.