Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Glow Plug Test

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Dirty Dave, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave 1/2 ton status

Can someone explain to me in the simplest of terms how to test a glow plug to see if it is working. I thought I knew how but since I can't get any of mine to work I think/hope I was wrong.

Thanks,
    Dave

They call me Dirty Dave because thats the way I fight. At my age I cant afford to fight fair

It's just mud how deep can it be?

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Simplest: resistance. Use an Ohmeter to measure resistance from the connector on the end to the threaded portion on the plug. 'Can't remember what the actual value is, but is may vary depending on your plugs (9G, 11G, 13G, 60G?). Infinit resistance means they're bad, zero resistance would be suspect. You can do this on the vehicle but it's a PITA. Usually if I suspect bad plugs I'll check 'til I find a bad one, then replace them ALL. Theory being that they're all similar age so the others (good still) aren't that far behind.

PS. I always check NEW glow plugs before installing, but then I deal with the DOD's "lowest bidder" philosophy.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

3. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

I would have to say the easiest way to test a glow plug is to get a test light... first get a good ground then unplug a glowplug wire, touch the pointed end with the light on the end of the glowplug if the light goes on the glow plug is good.. if you need farther explanation feel free to ask.
    Sergio

Check out my new website. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com>http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    If you haven,t a test light, you also can to test it with a wire.
    Connect the wire to the positive battery harness.Then remove the harnnes attached to the plug.Now,with the other extremeof the wire , took a few times the phaston conection on the plug body. If it makes sparks, the plug is good. If not ,is broken.

5. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    Touch the phastom ,no "took".Sorry.

6. Parf

Parf Registered Member

I like to short them between the top positive post on my battery, and the radiator support. If it glows, it's good. [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Parf</font color=blue>
    1984 K5 Jimmy 4x4 Sierra Classic
    6.2L diesel, 700R4

7. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

A resistance check would be a very easy way, each glow plug should have about .8 ohms (I read that 60G plugs draw 15 amps each, making their resistance about .8 ohms) of resistance from the spade connector to ground. To be able to accurately measure this though, you will need a pretty decent multimeter and you should remove the wire going to the plug. I recommend Fluke products.

The easiest way would be to use a clamp-on ammeter. Just clamp it on and measure the current going through each glow plug. I recommend Fluke and Amprobe products for this, just make sure they can measure DC amps and have a low enough range.

BTW, that battery/radiator support test is pure genius.[​IMG]

<font color=red>When in doubt, empty the magazine. </font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/calcide>http://www.geocities.com/calcide</a>
    1983 K5 Blazer Silverado, 6.2L Diesel

8. Dirty Dave

Parf thats the way I did it...and trying the resistance method I got the same results..all the plugs where toast. Thanks to everyone the search for the cause begins tommorow. First thing is to interrogate my girlfriend since she drove it last time it ran.

Thanks to all.

Dave

They call me Dirty Dave because thats the way I fight. At my age I cant afford to fight fair

9. Dirty Dave

Interrogation has reveiled that she forgot and left the manual switch on for "a little while"

hmmm, guess now is a good time to work the bugs out of my glowplug system.

Thanks again everybody.

10. Terry

Terry Registered Member

11. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://freeautoadvice.com/diesel/glow.html>Clicky</a>

'80 K5,355/350/205,soon 6.2 diesel swapped in and 33" tires[​IMG]