Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

glow plug timers

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by chevydude, Nov 3, 2002.

1. chevydude

chevydude Registered Member

i recently got a 1990 gmc 1 ton 4x4 with a 6.2 diesel,i have replaced the glow plugs but the timer will sometimes stay on a short time (5 SEC)and sometimes a long time(30+SEC),outside temp doesnt seem to have any effect on it,and it does not start well at the short timer intervals,does anyone know about timers??
    i am considering bypassing the timer and going to a manual switch
    any advice would be appreciated
    marcus

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Somehow your glow plug controller isn't being consistant! Change to a manual switch like everyone else on here does, you'll be a lot happier! I don't know about where you live, but down here in Tx, the controller costs around $100!!!
    Switch, UNDER $10!!! Cut the little blue wire going into the controller at the back of the engine about 3 inches from the plug and pull it out of the harness, if you don't know which one it is, there's a little four wire connector down the wires from your relay on the left inner fender, coming out of the connector is the little blue wire that runs to the controller.. After you pull it out of the harness back all the way back to the connector, run it into the cab and connect to a switch, on the other side of the switch, run a wire to a good ground and wahla!!! I suggest a push buttom switch that never stays on unless the user holds the switch down! Autozone sells a good one for $6! The switch will only work if the ignition is in run and doesn't require alot of resistance(No High Voltage Is Used)!

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

You should have the later style GP controller on your '90. It's a small gray unit mounted on the manifold, driver's side, rear. It's a good controller, but they can get "flaky" when they get old. Stick with an AC-Delco unit, I've heard bad things about aftermarket imitations. I think mine cost me about $60 a couple of years ago at NAPA.

4. chevydude

chevydude Registered Member

thanks for the information,i will look into it this weekend,i like the idea of going to manual control on the glowplugs,this is my first diesel powered chev and so far it is working out pretty well except for the lack of books or knowledge on my part