Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

glow plugs in block

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by braunm, Nov 20, 2001.

1. braunm

braunm Registered Member

I broke a gp in my 6.2. I could not get it out. My dad tryed a vacuum to get the gp out. He said he got it. I did not find anything when I put my finger in the block where the injector goes and I did not find the end of the gp in the vacuum bag. Could it fall down deeper? Will I need to take the head off?

Thanks for your help.
    Mike

2. braunm

braunm Registered Member

When I put the injector back in. How do I get the air out of the lines?

thanks Mike

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

The injector goes in the head, and if you could feel the piston with your finger and dont feel any pieces of the glow plug then I would think you got the piece out. If you only took the one injector line off and didnt mess with anything else then it should start, but if not just leave the injector line cracked and crank till fuel comes out then tighten the line.

1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31x10.50 x 15

4. braunm

braunm Registered Member

I could move my finger all directions and did not feel a thing.

Thanks Mike

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

If you couldnt feel the piston then id rotate the engine until the piston comes all the way to the top, use a coat hanger or something to tell when its at the top. I dont know if your finger will be able to touch the top of the piston but you might be able to shine a light in there and see. I dont remember how big the hole is for the injector is but maybe this will work.

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

You shouldn't be able to feel the piston. 6.2s are an indirect injection (IDI) motor, which means that the injector and the glow plug are actually in a small chamber inside the head. There is a small hole leading to the main combustion chamber.

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

7. braunm

braunm Registered Member

I know that I can't feel it. What I need to know is can the broken gp fall in the main combustion chamber.

Thanks mike

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I remember that now, When I did my heads I remember not having to worry about damaging the injectors by setting the head on concrete.

9. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Yes, they can fall in the main combustion chamber (as opposed to the prechamber). If you are lucky, they will blow out the exhaust valves, if not, the will embed themselves in the piston and make a horrible racket. I've had it happen both ways.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs

10. braunm

braunm Registered Member

So I should just pull the heads?

Thankss mIke

11. Heavychevy

Heavychevy Registered Member

Hey man.......how old is your engine? When were the gaskets changed last? If it was me, I'd at least pull the one head. If you are due for gaskets anyways, do both. I lost a good 6.2 last year because I didn't.[​IMG]

12. braunm

braunm Registered Member

My blazer is an 84 ex-army M1009. It was in storage for 11 years and has 16,000 origanal miles. It is the best truck I own. I just got 6.5 heads and flowmasters. Mabey it would be worth it to do the work get some power. Not to sure what I am doing thats what is kind of stoping me. Don't want to mess up my truck.

Thanks for every ones help!!!

Mike

13. braunm

braunm Registered Member

What will happen if I start it anyway?

Mike

14. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Start it with a busted glow plug in your cylinder?

Well, you could either ruin the engine when that GP tip gets smashed to hell by the piston, or it might break into little pieces and blow out the exhaust.

The chance of it blowing out without hurting anything would have to be pretty slim, if you ask me.

Pull the head.

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

15. braunm

braunm Registered Member

OK.....Thanks for everybodys help.

Mike

16. Heavychevy

Heavychevy Registered Member

There is VERY LITTLE clearance between the pistons and the heads on these engines! Anything that can't be compressed will shatter the piston. WAIT, it still ain't over, when the empty rod comes back up it can grab a big hunk of the block and bust it off, leaving you with an unrebuildable block. Join the Diesel Page and follow the procedures that Jim Bigley provides for removing the heads. It is not hard and you will learn things that you are gonna have to learn anyway. Why cause yourself unnecessary grief?.............. DO IT!!!!!

17. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

FWIW, the first time it happened to me they blew out the exhaust. The second time they just dented the tops of the pistons. I pulled the heads, got the stuff out and dug a couple nuggets out of the pistons, and put it back together. Couldn't tell any difference in the way it ran.

Pete

18. braunm

braunm Registered Member

Thanks for everyones help!!!
    I am going to join the diesel page.

Mike