Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Glow Plugs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stainlessrat, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Stainlessrat

Stainlessrat Newbie

Glow plugs do not come on. That's the short of it, here's the long... I just replaced the starter on my '83, but now the glow plugs aren't lighting up. Once started I have no problems because it's warm. Any Ideas?

2. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Is your glow plug relay clicking ? Thats the thing that looks like a Ford starter solenoid on the drivers fender ?

1990 K5 4" lift, 33's, 3.73's Raptor Tranny and Velvet Rides....

3. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

I would say check the relay and the controler it is located near the firewall, a little toward the drivers side, behind the air cleaner. You could also put on a manual switch, mine had one when I got it and I can't even count the number of times the manual switch has saved me when my plugs didn't want to come on. They will cycle after it is already started but not till after i use my manual switch to turn them on and get the engine going?? I don't understand it.
    Sergio

Check out my new website. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com>http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. Stainlessrat

Stainlessrat Newbie

Thanks for the information. Yeah, I think I'm going to put a manual switch in... just in case. Another note, the glow plug relay is not clicking over.... does that mean I need to replace it? One "learning experiance" after another. Got to love it.
    Stainlessrat

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Jump the (smaller) controlling wires on the relay/solenoid and see if it clicks/powers-up now. If it doesn't your relay is dead. If it does you've got a problem elsewhere: controller circuit or temp switch. I think the early Controllers used small relay contacts in it, a potential trouble spot.

Hey we need to move this thread to the Diesel Forum lest we anger the spark-heads.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

6. schlechto

schlechto Registered Member

I had the same problem. All I needed was a new temperature sensor.