Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Glowing manifolds

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ftcjimmy, Nov 2, 2005.

1. ftcjimmy

ftcjimmy Registered Member

After returning to a friends house from Christening my shiny new TSLs :laugh: , i looked itnto my front wheel well to discover that my stock exhuast manifold was glowing. I wasnt running at very high RPMs and only was out for about 45 min. I have no exhuast whatsoever ( the pipes from each side connect under the drivers seat, thats it :doah: ) so i know there is very very little backpressure if any. Isthis unussual or telling me there is something wrong. I should also add i dont know if this is the first time this was just by chance i looked and noticed it so i dont know of this happening ne previous times. Thanks for any input.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I was gonna say clogged cat, but seeing you have no exhaust, sounds like its runnin really lean.

3. gauder

gauder Banned

Lean is what I'm thinking too. Try retarding timing a bit maybe.

4. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wow... if you were running it for 45 minutes with the headers glowing, I would think your engine would be long gone. I remember seeing a turboed blue late model chevy truck on a dyno and the header would glow at the end of the pull... it was only 3-4 seconds and it was glowing. You think yours was like that for 45 minutes?! Damn, your lucky the truck still runs.

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I used to have a 440 Dodge truck that did that. The manifolds looked like GIANT Chevy ram horns. At night, on long trips, I would pull off the highway to gas up. Open the hood to check the oil, and the centers of both manifolds would be glowing. Could not see it in direct light, but at night looked kinda like charcoal dying down. It was a lean carb issue. Once I got the truck up to 8K feet, the glowing stopped.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

7. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Nice link! :D

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Does sound like a very lean fuel mixture. That can be very bad, you definitely need to check that out.

9. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

My brother did a research project for credit when he was still in high school on an electric racecar. The mentors were working at SW Research in San Antonio, TX. Anyways, he was excused to go watch the Rolex 24hrs at Daytona as school business for the project. There is cool video of the night-time driving with the turbocharged cars. He was using nightvision on the Sony handycam and the turbos and brake rotors glow in the dark, such cool video.

10. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

More likely TIMING than fuel mixture.

11. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Here's my $0.02,

Both mine and my dad's trucks have done this before. In both instances it was the dizzy advance had quit working. It was replaced, and the manifolds stopped glowing.Just something to check. If you place your hand just under the dizzy you can feel the advance, take the vac.line off and then plug it back on, if it's working you should feel it move. Ours would'nt move when we tried it.Replaced the advance and re-tested it again, and it moved like it was supposed to. Glowing stopped. Hope this helps.

Wayne

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My 400SB did this too,during the winter after plowing my drivway enough to get to the street to go get gas --at the station,I noticed the exhaust manifold on the drivers side was glowing a dull red color--it was paper thin due to rust,and had lost several layers and was cracked too..after I put a good used one on it never glowed again...I could see where retarted timing might cause fuel to finish burning in the exhaust,and make them glow too.. :crazy:

13. Elmer

Elmer Registered Member

yep to lean

you can try timming whow ever with open exhause im betting on the carb or injection if its a carb re-jet or get a bigger carb if its injection i would get bigger injector's or a mod chip to incress the fuel ratio, and possably a bigger pump , but dont drive it till you figure it out or you can brun the valves or worse melt a piston

14. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had glowing headers once:

Turned out to be TIMING.

Clicky