Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM 1/2 to 1 ton IFS conversion

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by LUBA, Jan 17, 2002.

1. LUBA

LUBA 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever done this? I want to put a 1 ton IFS in my 1/2 ton yukon. Any suggestions, comments, tips, etc..

2. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I am not sure but I thank for the same money you could put a Dana 60 in there and make a real truck out of that yukon

but that is just my.02

I'm Back BACK IN BLACK

<a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson>photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson</a>

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah....I didn't want to be the first to say anything, but I think you aren't going to get much "interest" from this group on any kind of IFS suspension advice.

The guys here are a pretty hardcore bunch, and don't get me wrong.....they'll do everything in the world to help you out if you decide to do a solid-axle swap. IFS just really isn't the way to go for a serious off-road vehicle......except perhaps a 2WD "Pre-Runner" style truck.

If you're interested in the swap, just say the word and I'm sure LOTS of people will jump in with ideas! [​IMG]

Just my $.02

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

4. LUBA

LUBA 1/2 ton status

Man, I wish I had a dollar everytime someone told me that! I do not want a solid axle on this truck. I like to be different, alot of guys are doing the sfa swap. I am going to build a m1008 and a 72 blazer with solid axles. This truck is keeping the IFS, only I will be beefing it up. I just wondered if any one has done this at all. And as far as I know all the Baja, Score, and other offroad trucks use IFS. I know a 1 ton GM ifs is a far cry from the pro's setups but I can always dream. Anyways that is just my opinion not trying to be a smarta$$.

5. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

hmmmm, i really dont see a big problem with this idea. after all, it IS a 1 ton. bigger, diff, shafts, and cv's (prolly, but cant say that i know for sure). would be stronger than a dana 44, easier than a sas (well, at least the set-up is similiar in design). if a guy could get the parts at a pretty good price, i think it would be pretty cool.

good luck on this, and keep us posted [​IMG]

rob

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. LUBA

LUBA 1/2 ton status

Well I definitely am going to do this. I haven't had much luck getting any info. There was a couple guys on an other board who were really interested in doing this also. But I don't know if the 9.25" ifs will even fit. It looks about the same size, same mounting points. I will make it fit. I am going to put an arb and 4.56 gears in it, and have a detroit locked 4.56 14 bolt ff in the rear.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I had a friend who installed a lift kit from a 3/4 ton on his 1/2 ton...the only thing that was different was the upper control arm was wider on the 3/4 (this was a 88- truck). I do know that there is a difference in the frame between a 1/2 and 1ton. I think your best bet would be to get a roll over 1 ton and put your body on it.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Thoughts to ponder:
    Desert trucks have historically run 2WD. It's IFS, but no drive power. Lately CORR has been dominated by class 4 (4WD, all IFS) but they don't have much wheel travel. I know a lot of them use GM 1 ton components. A friend pits for rob M and I think that's what part of their front drive is based on. So it's pretty tough stuff with a 9" centersection and a bunch of chromoly wrapped around it. And they have a WIDE track and not much wheel travel.
    Why beef it? the 1/2T stuff is generally good for decent use with 33's, maybe a squeeze bigger. Lots of the IFS problems are also related to the number of moving joints and lighter steering, and some of that's not going to be changed.
    Past that it basically comes down to fabbing mounts, and some of it might bolt in. Variety makes the world more fun, but I'd have to say that bang for the buck you're a lot better off with a solid D60. Had to throw that in!

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

9. LUBA

LUBA 1/2 ton status

I want to upgrade because I will be able to run an arb with the 1 ton. I already have a 14ff for the rear I want to be able to switch to 8 lug tires f/r, so I can switch with my buddies and other trucks tires. We mostly run mud bogs/sand dunes here in Michigan. I also personally like the look of the IFS trucks better. And lastly I will have a couple of sfa trucks soon. Thanks for the info on the class 4 trucks- I thought they were all one-off high dollar custom jobbys.

10. bkb73

bkb73 Newbie

build up 1/2 ton

I read this and said EXACTLY ! Wanting to do the same thing w my 93 Yukon GT. Havent ruled out sfa but like the xtra clearance and handling of ifs. lets compare notes....despite the well meaning neysayers!

11. Deuling

Deuling "Official CK5 Post Whore" Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ill watch, Ive got plenty of buddies that beat the crap out of there lifted IFS stuff and have no problems, not saying I want IFS, but I think alot of people give them more grief than they deserve.

12. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

This swap is not really doable. The 1 ton stuff and the 1/2 and 3/4 ton stuff doesn't all fit in the same place. All of the mounts for the control arms and stuff are in different places. It would take a massive amount of fab work or a complete frame swap to make it work. It has been covered a bunch of times on fullsizechevy.com.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/offroad/363902-ifs-front-dif-questions-2.html
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/offroad/186822-6-lug-8-lug-conversion.html

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  13. Big Ray

Big Ray 1 ton status Premium Member

zombie thread.....

fwiw, it's far easier than ever to doa sas...:waytogo:

14. TheBeast_88K5

TheBeast_88K5 Banned

What you want, and the advice we'll give you, are two different things. :waytogo:

EDIT: Jeebus! Old thread is old!

15. Deuling

Deuling "Official CK5 Post Whore" Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Haha did not realize that lol :haha:

16. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Easiest way is to section frame with a 1 ton frt clip.

17. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

check state motor vehicle rules first tho. some states dont like sectioned frames and or only let you do it to a point thats not within suspension points .

here in ny not alowed to cut/weld/fishplate within 6" of a suspension mounting point.

18. 63chevyll

63chevyll 1/2 ton status

Or just buy a 1 ton:dunno:

19. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

They didnt make a 1 ton 2 door Tahoe.

20. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

If you do it right they won't be able to tell :)