Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM 10 bolt and 35's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guest, Oct 9, 2003.

1. guest

guest Registered Member

GM 10 bolt and 35\'s

Will a Gm 10 bolt be alright for 35's? or should i stick wih 33's?

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: GM 10 bolt and 35\'s

It depends on how hard you are wih it. Locked or Open? If it's locked it's probably not a matter of "if" but "when" it will let go. If you are mainly running on the streets with occasional off-roading run it until you start breaking parts. You will get many varied opinions on here about the 10 bolt. Mostly bad, but they are a pretty weak axle. Try a search for "10 bolt rear" prolly find some good carnage pics /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Front or rear?
    If its front and your not EXTREMELY hard on it then I think you will be fine...
    Rear if its a gov-lock then I highly dought it(or anyother locker) Open you might get aways with it for a wile but adventually you will want a locker if your doing any offroading, You may want to figure out now what you want to do with this project a 14bolt FF would be great or even a 14bolt SF would be better, But unless you want to dump alot of $$$ into that 10bolt I would say no unless you drive mostly on the street and its open...

4. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

It really depends on how you drive. An open 10 bolt rear diff. should be OK with 35's as long as you don't drive it to hard. I'm sure you will get a lot of people saying buy a 14 bolt which is basically bulletproof but a 10 bolt is OK for street driving and mild wheeling.

5. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Everyone says that a 10 bolt is about on par with a D44. I have seen numerous vehicles wheeling with 35"+ tires and D44's with no problems.

So, if 10b's are on par with d44's, you should be fine.

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I have seen numerous vehicles wheeling with 35"+ tires and D44's with no problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many of those vehicles weighed 5000+ lbs though??

7. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

True, most were in the 3.5 to 4K range.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

simple answer: 35s on a 10-bolt front = decent combo... 35s on a 10-bolt rear = breakage waiting to happen. Semi-floating + heavy as hell rig + c-clip design + bigger than stock tires adds up to eventual breakage. If its just a street rig, sure np, run 35s... but if you wheel it, its only a matter of time before a rear 10 bolt shaft lets go and your tire/wheel go on their own offroad adventure without you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

9. guest

guest Registered Member

Well, does any one here run a 10 bolt with 33's or 35's? Had any problems? And what about a 12 bolt rear? would that not be risking it?

10. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I run a 10 bolt... Well, at least it runs in my driveway. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That's where the truck will sit until I complete the rebuild and installation of my recently aquired 14bff and D60... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Gov-Lock went tick... tick... BOOM!

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dont bother swapping in a 12 bolt... ff14b are DIRT cheap and so much better in so many ways its not even funny. U can even keep ur 6-lug rims if u use wheel spacer/adapters...

j

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree. 12 bolt is trash, just as weak as a 10 bolt in most places and weaker in others. Mine broke just as easy as a 10 bolt. 14 bolt has been holding strong for over 2 years now.

13. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i had a 10 bolt and 33s for a while....not for long...gave it hell across some empty lanes once and it went out nice...was govlocked, broke the carrier....now i have a 12 bolt open and i wouldnt have gone 12 bolt except i needed 6 lug...and got it cheap..

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Will a Gm 10 bolt be alright for 35's? or should i stick wih 33's?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Classic question. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have 35" boggers with a 3/4ton front 10B and haven't had any problems. I haven't had it in for long but I have already put it to the test and it didn't break. I think you will be fine as the front goes, mine seems OK with 35" boggers which are much heavier and hook better than say a BFG mt or something plus I have a little bit of horsepower pushing it. I have a rear 14FF and would strongly urge to upgrade the rear to a 14B ff or SF. Forget the 12 bolt. I have seen a few guys run a 10b front and 6 lug 14BSF, all 6 lug and that seems like a good upgrade as far as simplicity and money is concerned.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Front is no big deal. I have a 10 bolt front and 38s right now. At least when the shaft snaps it doesn't take the tire off with it in the front.

16. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

I run a D44 front and 12 bolt rear. Just check out my webshots and it should answer any questions about running 1/2 ton gear and 35" tires.

Like stated above, it's all bout the skinny right pedal and gears.

I love this discussion.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. guest

guest Registered Member

ok kool thanks for the info! This always helps me so much. But one more thing- I called my local junck yard they have a 14 bolt rear for about $130, i want to get the 14 bolt, i read CK5'saxle swap, and im probly gonna do it, but the question is can i still use my 15 inch rims with the 14 bolt?

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes, you can use your 15" wheels no matter what Chevy axles you use. You can even do so without grinding a 14 bolt full floater.

19. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It has to be an 8 lug rim if you have a 14B 8 lugger. My guess is you found a SF14bolt 6 lug, good choice if thats it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I would probably still be runnin a 10 bolt rear if I didnt get such a good deal on my current axles. My take on it is get a good quality ring and pinion and either a selectable locker like an ARB or an Electrac from Eaton or get a Detroit. Stock carriers are junk, aftermarket carriers usually are of a much better design. Hell I've seen 10 bolts hold up to 40" TSL's, not saying that I would do that, but it has and can be done.