Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM 10 bolt front axle bearings and seals

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by heaj1, Dec 18, 2001.

1. heaj1

heaj1 Registered Member

I need some pointers on getting the axle shafts out of my 10 bolt front axle to replace the bearings and seals. I have torn everything i could apart and still cant figure out how to get the damn shafts out! Do I have to pull the U joints apart or the Spindle king pins? Or both? I have been busting knockles (on hands not axle) for two weeks to no avail. Many sincere thanks for any help or direction to a website provided. Hope to have my beast driving and out of the garage soon. Again, thanks.

2. purple89jimmy

purple89jimmy Registered Member

You have to beat the spindles off with a rubber mallet or a hammer and a block of wood. Once you get the spindles off the axles will simply slide right out.

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Just a thgought here... if you replace the beaings in the diff you are gonna need to recheck your gear setup... and IMO if you are having problems getting the axle shafts out you probably are gonn need some help for the gears. After the new bearings are installed you should be close (or maybe right on), but you want to definetlt double check the pattern and see what it reveals.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

4. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Once you get the backing plates off the spindle will come off &amp; your axle shaft will slide right out. Or at least mine did.
    Jim

88 5.7 5in lift 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff & CV driveshaft

5. heaj1

heaj1 Registered Member

For clarification purposes, the spindle is seperate from the rest of the hub assembly (hub assembly-contains wheel studs) correct? and the spindle has holes in it for the studs to come through? I have a really BFH and dont want to demolish the wrong part by being ignorant, haha. Thanks a million for the prompt response.

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

the spindle is what the wheel bearings and seal ride on.
    use a block of wood to protect the spindle and beat it with a BFH.
    as soon as you get one side to move a bit try jamming something like a screwdriver in to use as a pivot and beat it the other way etc
    on reassembly
    get the area of the spindle that seats against the knuckle really clean and coat it with anti sieze compound. next time it will come apart with a couple of light taps with a soft hammer on the edge.
    unless you enjoy the bash fest, I hate doing that

7. heaj1

heaj1 Registered Member

77chev you rock, Thanks a bunch for the info, I only wish I had asked earlier, less FUBAR knuckles, haha. I should have it done in the morn, yeeeee haaaaaw!!!

Jamie