Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM 10-bolt - What gears came stock

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beefcake83, Sep 14, 2000.

1. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Hi all - Just trying to get the scoop on my drivetrain, and still consider myself a novice at 4x4ing... to satify my knowledge, what gear ratio comes stock in the GM 10 bolt diff? I'm assuming mine has never been cracked open yet. Also, if I have a 10-bolt in the front, and 6 lugs all the way around, what is most likely in the rear? Thanks for the schooling - Gary

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

I think 2.73,3.08,3.42,and 3.73. Hope this helps. Please correct if anyone sees any mistakes.

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

I think it depends on the year. I know my 88 has 3.73s and a Gov Lok in the rear. Mine has a 44 front and 10 bolt rear. Check your glove box and look up the codes. Gu4 is a 3.08 i think and Gu8 is a 3.42. Mine is a GT4 which is 3.73 and the GT8, i believe, is 4.10s. If there is a G80 with it, it is a Gov-Lok. The second part of your question i am not so sure about. I have read somewhere that there was a 14 bolt rear made that was a smaller diameter and a six lug pattern. Maybe it was wrong, maybe it wasnt im not totally sure.

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

4. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

If only it were that easy to just look at the sticker in the glovebox... my Jimmy doesn't have one. So far it's been hell finding out any info on my rig without having this sticker to look at. Is it possible to get GM to reprint me one if I give them a good VIN? - Gary

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Take off your diff covers and spin the diff. There should be a stamping on the ring gear of a ratio number that should look like: 41:10

HTH

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com