Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM 11" brakes what did they come on? trailer related

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jun 10, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

GM 11\" brakes what did they come on? trailer related

I'm borrowing a trailer and he said the shoes need replaced and they use 11" GM brakes. What do I need to tell the folks at the autoparts store to get the right ones? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: GM 11\" brakes what did they come on? trailer related

easiest way is to take one pair i and have them get out the book. and then just match the curve and hole location

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i think they are a 3/4 ton 11" brake, not the 13" brake. just take one down there and match it to a mid 80s 3/4 ton /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

If I remember correctly GM had two 11 inch brake shoes-11x2 and 11x2 and 5/32--I think the wider ones were used on heavy duty 1/2 tons and 3/4 ton light duty.I can get the part #'s for you later(my catolog is out in the shop)and post back later if you'd like. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. jjlaughner

Thanks for the quick replies, I guess I'm not getting that trailer yet. I got ahold of the guy yesterday and he said yeah go get it (its about 60miles from here), I just need to get ahold of the guy that was storing it. Once I got the ok from him I just had to wait on dad to get home from work. Dad brought one home after work tonight from a guy he works with and right after I got ahold of the guy storing the first trailer I had another person call me say yeah come this trailer /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif So two days ago no one had a trailer I could borrow, today I got three of them lined up! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I'm going to use the one dad brought home tonight (because its here), but later on I might go get the other one and store it for a friend of mine, the guy storing it now wants it gone and my buddy can't find anyone to buy it. Its a 18-19foot trailer with brakes it uses a jack to raise the front of the deck to pull up on, no ramps (16foot with a 3foot dovetail I think) that he use to haul a fullsize race van on. He's asking $1800 I think, I'll double check. If someone is really interested I'll go pickup the trailer and check it over. He used it often up until the brakes stopped working (says they checked it and it needs shoes). He ended up buying a 26' foot enclosed trailer to haul his race cars in and to camp in the front of it.

I just talked to him and he said he'd take $1500 if who ever buys it does the brakes. Its a wood deak and steal diamond plate dovetail. I'll have pics soon.

6. jjlaughner

[​IMG]

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

$1800 for that is about twice what it is worth.

I just payed $2650 for my trailer brand new and it is 18+2, 14k gvwr, brakes on both axles, etc.

A used 7k like that is worth $1k-1.2k max. Is that even a 7k? The frame looks awful cheesy to me.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I did some searching and found that GM actually used 2 different #'s of shoes that are 11x2--#280 fits from 71-75.#449 fits 76-77(and up I beleive,my book is pretty old).as for the 11-5/32x2-3/4,#248 fits 74-75,#450 fits 76-77,#473 fits 84-87.Like I said,the book is old and I think the number of years they fit may be more than whats listed here. Looks like your going to have to bring and old shoe and play "show and tell" at the parts counter.I've dealt with trailer brake shoes before,just because the axles have the same 6 lug pattern as a GM truck doesnt always mean GM style shoes are in there,sometimes they work fine,some need holes drilled in a different spot,and some are just exclusive to the trailer brand itself--then the real fun begins!.
    A few miles from me is a trailer dealer who was selling the "Big Tex" brand of trailers for $1575 bucks,7500 lb tandem axle,elec.brakes,6 ply tires and wagon spoke wheels,2 friends of mine each bought one (1 got a 10,000 lb one for his bobcat,for 1950 bucks!)and they seem very ruggedly built.I have never understood why people want as much or more than a new one for a used trailer,they arent that expensive if you shop around,and ask them to match someone else's price!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    $1800 for that is about twice what it is worth.

I just payed $2650 for my trailer brand new and it is 18+2, 14k gvwr, brakes on both axles, etc.

A used 7k like that is worth $1k-1.2k max. Is that even a 7k? The frame looks awful cheesy to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes its a 7K lb trailer and its a tilt bed (no ramps).
    $1500 is a good price around here, considering its was $2500 just a few years ago.